Do you take the time to install your carseat properly?

I went out with a friend and saw that her babys carseat wasn't insteall tightly at all, she thought it was in right. I don't know if some people don't realize how important it is to install these the right way. After watching several crash tests on what happens when carseats aren't put in right, I really worry about other babies and children. Are you sure yours are in right? Am I the only anal one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in About CafeMom

• oh, I'm freaky anal about it.

dh put one in loose, and I made him pull over so I could tighten it.

thankfully I'm not a lightweight - I can sit on it, buckle and it doesn't move. lol

I had a friend that was like that too, I refused to ride with her.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I check!
    Whats the point of investing the $ and taking the time to put your kid in it if the seat isnt properly installed?
    I think the fines for no car seats/ or improperly installed car seats should be HIGH- far more than the cost of the car seat it's self!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I would put a knee in mine and all but sit in it and tighten it up so tight it would leave permanent marks in my seat. LOL I was ANAL about it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It would be great if was easy to install them perfect. One city where I lived had very frequent car seat days where they would check the seats. There were activities for kids, fire truck tours, free food, the works to get people to come. It was a great idea and they had big turnouts. I live in a much larger city now and there is nothing like that.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I'm a bit crazy about it.
    I was going someplace with my Dad one day and had to move my carseat to his car. I fussed with it for about 20 minutes. He didn't seem to mind waiting, but he was watching me very intently.
    Anonymous

• I just recently got really upset because my mom and fiance were picking my 4 year old up from preschool and I know he knows how to install a seat right, he's helped me many of times. My mom was going to take my son to school this morning so last night I double checked the installations since I didn't do it the first time and I grabbed the head of the seat and pushed it all the way down on the vehicle seat, needless to say, I was PISSED. Freakin lazy! He claimed it was tight when he put it in, but I'm sorry, it didn't loosen up by itself over night. I told my mom that neither one of them were allowed to install my kids seats anymore and if it meant they couldn't pick him up, fine! I have a carseat I keep in her car and they had to take it out to put their dog back there, unless I install it myself, he doesn't ride with them anymore! I think it's messed up that they were lazy about my kids safety/life.
    Anonymous

• yes we are anal about it..
    i have a friend whos 3 yr old doesnt even use the 5pnt harness anymore. He sits in the carseat & they buckle him in w/ the car buckle. :(
    its sad that when he is with me he is safer. we have 2 5pnt carseats for him & dd
    Anonymous

• I know that our fire dept will put it in/check it if you want. You can just call and make sure they have time that day and they will do it and show you how and also tell you if it's unsafe or has a recall. I just use the anchors that are in my car and those SUCK for removal, so we bought another set of car seats for our 2 kids for my husbands car. No moving them that way. If we do have to move the seats for grandparents or whatever, we are the ones that install them. Just so I don't have to get upset if they don't put it in the right way. Choose your battles.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 5:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I regulary RE tighten it lol. Our car is too old for LATCH, so we're stuck with the seatbelt. I lean on it and pull the belt as tight as I can, then fasten it, then test the seat, try to get the belt a little tighter...*sigh*. My parents have a car with the LATCH system in it. So much easier to get it good and tight. Yeah, I'm a little nutty about it. I usually put it in a car the first time with the person taking my daughter watching, so they know how to do it, just so I feel better :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2010