What counts as a checked bag?

I'm assuming this means luggage. But if I take a big purse or backpack or my toddler carries her own toy/book bag, will that count? It's a very long flight and I don't want her to sleep during it so I want to be sure she has plenty to occupy herself. I don't want to pay $50 for a little bag though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Travel

• A checked bag is anything that goes in the cargo hold. What you're talking about is going to stay with you.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• your toddler can bring a backpack and it counts as their carry on
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Checked bags are the ones you give to the airline to carry for you not what you carry on the plane. You can carry on a bag and a purse and she can carry on a bag.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She gets a carry on (which she can't carry, right) and a purse, computer bag or backpack. Basically one small suitcase and a purse or backpack that can stow under the seat. They may NOT let you carry your luggage and hers. They might say you have two carryons regardless of the fact that you're carrying hers. If she can haul her pack on her back, you carry your one piece of luggage and a purse (I put my purse inside my backpack with the video player) or your own backpack it should be fine.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• So we're each allowed to take what we can carry, correct? We'll each have our own seat so we're allowed to take what fits under them both?
    What's cargo hold? Is that the section above the seats or the big separate section for just luggage?
    Anonymous

• No. You can't take whatever you can carry. You can take 1 small bag each, plus your pocketbook. If you have additional, larger suitcases, you give them in when you check in and they stow them under the plane for you. You pick them up after in the baggage claim.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Does a regular school backpack count as a small bag?I could probably fit most of her books and toys in there.
    Anonymous

• yes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2010