Why do I suck at scheduling?

I just don't know how to do it.... What is a good schedule for a 6 month old and how do I get her on it? I don't want to leave her in her crib to cry really unless thats the way to do it...right now sometimes the only way to get her to sleep is nursing or a bottle...usually the bottle does it better. I can tell when she is tired and she just FIGHTS sleep as hard as she can... it upsets her so badly! I am in the process of switching from breast to formula during the day(for many reasons) and I dont know how much to feed her or when or ANYTHING....it seems so easy for some people but for me its not for some reason> HELP

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with every child i say, this one will have a strict schedule...but we never do! i always end up feeding on demand...even with twins :). i think it must just have something to do with me.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You follow her natural wake, sleep and eat patterns. Then, if she is sleeping all day and awake all night, you gently guide her into a more acceptable routine. Next time she cries, try to play with her, talk to her keep her occupied. When she is still fussing and playing won't work, you know she is hungry. Feed her until she is content, not stuffed. Now, play with her, talk, whatever. She might stay awake and play or try to fuss and sleep. If she sleeps, and it's day, don't let her go over 4 hours. If it's bedtime, let her go. See how long she will wait between bottle before she cries for it again. Make a mental note. If it's 4 hours, then, you know...every 4 hours she should be hungry. So, if she has a bottle and it's only been 1.5 hours...she isn't hungry, she has other needs to identify.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Putting babies on a schedule doesn't happen overnight, and may not be for every baby. Usually it is just best for the parents. As far as switching from BM to Forumula, I would start by giving her a small amount maybe 5-6 oz. See how much she will drink. If she wants more give it to her. She will let you know if she is done or wants more. Is she eating anyfood yet? If not you may want to start that as well. Dont let the scheduling overwhelm you. My daughter has never been on any schedule, I actually like it better that way. My son however was on a strict schedule and that usually made things more difficult.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• so at six months most babies are still eating 4 oz every 4 hours....if she needs more, give her more. switching from breast to bottle is HARD! but the best way is for you to pump and start by mixing breastmilk and formula 75%/25% the first few days..(1 oz of formula for every 3 of breastmilk)then go 50%/50% for a few days then to 25%75% for a few days then to straight formula. this will help her with the transition. also you should still hold her when you feed her atleast for a while so you still have the bonding time that she is so used to.

many moms are going to say that this is so cruel but its not!!!!! my baby was the same with sleep. fight it no matter what. the ferbur method is the only thing that worked! you just put her in her bed and give her loves and leave the room. check in five minutes DO NOT PICK HER UP give her loves and leave the room. check again in 10 minutes same thing as last time. check again in 15
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• and 20. then after 2 or 3 days you dont check the first time for 10 minutes. it worked so well the first night my baby was asleep in 20 minutes. after that it was 10 minutes. after a week i could lay her in her crib and walk out and she would be out in less than 5 minutes and still does.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I've never met anyone for whom scheduling is easy...because it's really not natural. Don't sweat it. It's NO big deal. She's normal in fighting sleep...I also have yet to meet the kid who DOESN'T do that.

For the switch...change one feeding a week. You'll still feed on demand, just using bottles instead of formula.

Cut yourself some slack. Everything is textbook perfect for you.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• thanks all!
    cpuckett27

Answer by cpuckett27 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• gdiamante: I am the first then...Whoo-Hoo!!!! My son thrived on a schedule as an infant. It was way easier for me. I knew exactly hom many bottles to bring when we went somewhere. I knew to have a bottle ready before he even cried for it. He slept at the same time. He slept all night from 3 months on.

He was good enough to alter routines when needed as well. Thank goodness.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• At that age, I let my babies set the schedules. There's no use stressing yourself out insisting that she follow a schedule that doesn't fit her needs.
    Anonymous

• Let your baby guide you.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2010