not sure if my son has ADD

My son is 11, and has always had a problem organizing himself. He forgets a lot of things. He loses his things all the time. He is not hyper. I had him test a few years ago for ADD, and it came back sort of in a grey area, more on the no side. I have to stay on top of him to do all his homework, or he will forget this and that. If i do, he gets excellent grades. He is not disruptive in class. He is very polite, as a matter of fact. I am just not quite sure how to handle this. Am I enabling his behavior by reminding him all the time and checking up on all his homework?

nomadmomof3

Asked by nomadmomof3 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i don't think that you are enabling him, but you may be able to do some things that still allow him to be responsible for his own work. together you could go through his back pack right when he gets home and he could do a daily task list and post it somewhere that he always looks. then throughout the day, ask about progress on the list. his teacher(s) might have much better suggestions.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/ . You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2010