help with my DD

She will be 5 in April and going to kindergarden in the fall. She is very smart and very bright. She already can ride her bike learned on her own in one day a couple weeks ago, she learned to tie her shoe last month took a half hour. I got a book from registration that she has to do from now until through the summer and the first day of school take it to her teacher. She has to know how to do all these things one is count from 0-15. She can count to 11 I heard her before, but when we sit down to do these pages she can't count right sudenly. She will say like 1,3,5,7,8,9, or 1,2,3,5 I know she knows how. How can I help her do this stuff she needs to know when it frusterates me when she isn't doing them when in fat I know that she can? She loves to learn so I don't think it is that she doesn't want to do it. She is always asking me if we can do her worksbooks. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make it fun. When you set the table, count the plates. When you're at the grocery store count the pictures of Dora (there are a lot). Count the bottles of shampoo when you are in the bath. She'll get it. She sounds smart, I wouldn't worry.
    It's still 6 months away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Best to just be patient and work w/ her everyday on different things. Take 15-20 minutes to do so. If not everyday then at least every other day.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Don't sit down class style with her. Have her count while playing. Maybe while you two play barbies or something. Count things at the store.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Use something she can get her hands on when counting for the workbook. Pennies, raisins, pieces of cereal, pieces of candy (if you approve), some small toys, whatever.

You could also use some of her stuffed animals to make it even more fun. "Mr. Teddy needs to have 15 pennies to go buy his favorite treat at the Bear Store. Can you help him out? He's not sure how to count."

If you are doing stuff with letters and sounds, work on it by walking around the house. B .."Oh look, there's a banana in the fruit bowl. Oh look, there on the chair your baby is sleeping, and there's a blue ball there on the floor. Banana, ball, baby, blue - all start with B."

Make it fun and make it relate to her world and she'll get it a lot more quickly and enjoy and retain it better.
    Anonymous

• If you know she knows how then don't do anything with her. Let the schools teach her. Are they not going to let her in K if she doesn't know how?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• gailll OP HERE they give you a paper that she has to know by school and yes if she doesn't know certain things then they will say she isn't ready yet and they wont allow her to go until 6. I also want to work with her so that she does know these things. Plus I know she knows she just isn't doing them for whatever reason
    Anonymous

• I haven't heard of a school not allowing a student in because they don't know certain things on day one. Every district/state is different though. Here(Montana), I know that all the things you mentioned, and a bit more, they PREFER them knowing before the first day. I asked them what happens if they don't. They just work with them on everything. They said that they want them knowing all those things by the end of the first quarter, when they do evals. If the children aren't picking it up, for whatever reason, they will talk to the parents and decide what to do then.

As far as your daughter and her counting...I remember when my son was starting to count and someone was counting with him and omitted "3" from the sequence. It took us FOREVER for him to get that there IS a "3". The person was a dumb teenager that was the daughter of the daycare director the kids USED to go to. She just thought it was funny. #1 rule? BE PATIENT!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 4:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• ya the neighors daughter is in 1st grade same school she told me that they don't do testings before like most schools, but they do she says has a trial period the first 2 weeks if they feel they aren't ready suposably they tell you that they aren't ready and bring them back next year. That is what the neighbor said
    Anonymous