• In the Spotlight:

I am starting school in 4 days- any advice working moms or moms who go to school would like to give me?

I have a dd who is about to be 2

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I went to school when my oldest was 2 1/2 and my youngest was 9 months old. It was really hard, I cried the night before I left. It was hard at first, but I got used to it and actually started enjoyed the break as I was making a career for my family. Just make sure she's left with people you can trust so you don't have added worries and someone you can call whenever you want to check in on her. It's really no different than going to work.
    Anonymous

• yay! congrats to you! I've got 3 kids under the age of 3 at home right now, and it's really hard at times. sometimes I can get studying done during the day, but most of the studying and tests and such (2 online and 1 location class) after they all go to bed. So from about 7-12 everynight that's what I work on and off with between picking up and all the rest that I dont get done in the day. don't procrastinate and make sure to check in often with what you have to do and online if that's what your taking!
    good luck with all you do and that's awesome you are going back to school! xoxoxo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I am taking a 9 month cosmetology class so thank god I wont be away from her for nights or anything. Just during the day :-D But thanks for that advice. And I know I will enjoy the day time break
    Anonymous

• good got you. my daughter is 5 months and i've been back in school since she was three months. it is hard, but it can be done! i can agree on what the others said. make sure u have the motivtion to do so. and i would plan everything out ahead of time. make sure you know the times and schedules of school and a sitter, know what is for dinner and around what time its going to be. if you just schedule everything ahead to the best you can, it really helps. gl and yay!
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Keep a calendar with deadlines so things don't sneak up on you, especially at first while you are still getting the hang of juggling more things. Prioritize your responsibilities, and cut yourself a little slack; when you take on new responsibilities there are other things that may have to wait. Take advantage of any help you have. Make the most of your child's nap time when you are home, and do things during that time that you can't realistically do when your child is awake.

Congrats & good luck!

Anonymous

• My words of wisdom: Enjoy your time out of the house with the kiddo, and DON'T procrastinate on anything! I
    Anonymous

• For me, organization really helps me! I keep a dry erase board on my fridge and write down either things I need to do or events for my son and his school. Luckily my son is in 1st grade now (I waited till he was in school before I went to school so that I wouldn't lose much time with him) and it's made it much easier. My evenings are anally planned out. TV watching at first, dinner, clean up, son's homework, showertime for him, storytime, then bedtime. After he goes to bed at 8pm it is homework time and I stay up and do what I have to do until midnight. I sneak a shower in there somewhere before I go to bed. I then lay out my clothes for the next day and my son's clothes and shoes. This makes mornings less hectic while we get ready for school together. Just have to know how to manage your time and if you need help...ASK!! College is hard and it requires LOTS of studying (well I'm going for my RN so A LOT A LOT A LOT) Good luck
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Don't neglect your studies. If you can't spend three hours a week studying / doing homework, for every class hour, then you need to drop a class.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010