• In the Spotlight:

just a question...

When you go to your OB & want a pregnancy test how early will it show up?
Not an at home test, when you pee in a cup & they test it at the office.

& also, what is FMU?

mandiebrooke

Asked by mandiebrooke at 4:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The tests they do at the doctors office are as accurate as the home tests.

With my DD I found out a few days after I missed my period.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• A blood test would show up a few days post conception(before the missed period) but most offices won't do that routinely unless there is a medical risk. The urine test are the same. I used a digital EPT and found out with DD the day I was due for my period.
    Anonymous

• FMU = First Morning Urine

It's best to test first thing in the morning because that allows the hormone concentration to build up.

And as PP said, the urine tests at the doctor's office are about the same as the at-home ones. If it's not showing up on a home test, then it won't show up at the doctor's either, though it usually shows up if you've missed a period. If you keep getting negatives at home but still think you're pregnant, your best bet is to request a blood test from the doctor, which is more accurate than any urine test.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Most doctor's offices use the same home pregnancy tests that they sell in the stores. They just dip the stick into the cup, instead of having you pee on it. Other doctor's offices use color changing strips, like what you can buy to to test for yeast infections in stores. A lot of Home Pregnancy Tests sold now can detect HCG (the pregnancy hormone) up to 4 days before your missed period. However, the chances of it detecting the hormone 4 days before are a lot less than testing the day after. I tested the day my period was expected and got a positive result. I also took 2 more tests throughout the week to make sure and they were all positive. If you're getting negative test results with home pregnancy testing, go to a clinic and have a blood test done. Those are the most accurate.
    Anonymous