how often do you volunteer for your child's school and what do you do?

Do you volunteer for field trips or to bring in treats or to be moniter while the busses are loading? Do you feel like you help a lot with the school or do you wish you could do more? Do you hate that some parents don't put in the effort that you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I volunteer at least once a week to come in and sit with the kids during lunch with another volunteer while my son's teacher goes to lunch. He does go to a private school, the class is small and they do eat in their classroom this year (kindergarten). I did have to take a class before I was allowed to do this. Each parent also takes turns once a month or so sending in a daily snack for the kids. It is required in his school that each family volunteer at least 30 hours during the school year, which really isn't that much because it can be anything from what I do to baking for functions...really anything that you help out the school with. So in his school it's not really possible to feel like there's one parent that should do more, we all do out share. I am a SAHM and I would do more if I were able but I do have 2 little ones at home still so I'm limited in what I can help out with.
    Anonymous

• I'm volunteering to go with my son's class on a field trip to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. My first field trip in a long time. I've volunteered for things through our parent's group at school, and will never do that again! The other mothers were so snobby! All I did was introduce myself, and they turned their noses up at me! My son's teacher and I get along very well, and I'm always glad to do what I can to help the class, but NOT the parent's group!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• When only one of them were in school, I did what I could bring his brother along for (chaparone field trips, attend and help out at parties, and send in supplies or treats for parties).
    Now that both of mine are in school, I go on the field trips, send in treats for the parties and also attend the ones where parents are invited (which are nearly all), buy supplies for the class (like glue sticks, hand sanitizers, etc.) and the help out about 2 hours in each of my boys classes weekly, reading to the class, have students read to me one on one, put papers in folders, copying, cutting out laminated stuff, or anything else to help out the teacher).
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 6:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I do the school field trips when my DH is not working because when he is out of town some field trips is sooo hard to take my other daughter. And I bring in goodies, and help with the parties. I sign up and help out. I wish I could do more though. Its the fun thing about young kids in school! And I dont care aBOUTH the other parent shelping out or not really. Who knows whats going on in their lives at home...........
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I go in once a week and do busy work (filing, copying, etc) for the teacher. I have gone on field trips, even when I worked, I just took the day off. I also contribute to the class party, and bring treats on my kids' birthdays.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2010