What can I do to get my child potty trained?

My four year, almost five, refues to be potty trained. He will pee on the potty when you make him go. He will not poop on it. he will even hold it until he is constipated. I have tried everything. Rewards, going to his favorite place to eat, buying big boy underwear. What can I do? It is getting really frustrating! HELP

Clover484

Asked by Clover484 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's not just about buying the big boy underwear. He needs to be in it. 100% of the time. You and he together are going to have to deal with some messes until he can learn that he no longer has any option -- any option at all -- but to use the potty. Keep a lot of fiber in his diet so he doesn't get constipated. Watch him closely and every time he starts to pee or poop anywhere but in the potty, move him to the potty. That is where he pees and poops. No where else. Putting a diaper on him teaches him again and again that he doesn't have to use the potty.

I totally disagree with Anon 5:11 -- it's not that he's not ready. Unless of course he has special needs. Otherwise he's been ready. Don't take no for an answer.
    Anonymous

• every kid is different. maybe he just isnt ready
    Anonymous

• it's ok hun. i'm with ya! my boy is 4 1/2. sometimes he goes weeks without an issue, and then acts as if he's never seen a toilet in his life! Is ur son in school? i've heard that might help. Also, rule out any developmental issues (like autism, the culprit behind my son's crazy toilet behavior) just incase.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure the rewards are even appropriate at this stage. He probably sees it like a game. It's something you EXPECT him to do at this point. Maybe a reward for once he gets it fully down.
    Anonymous