How do I keep my house chores done and keep the kids from killing each other?

I have a 4 year old and a 2 and a half year old and they constantly fight over everything as long as im trying to get the house chores done. when i go to sit down they wont fight and argue. I have had all week off and feel like i havent accomplished anything

cnetlady

Asked by cnetlady at 5:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First, adjust your expectations. You may not get house stuff done as much or as well as you'd like with young kids in the house. Mine are now 7 and 5. I do what I can stay on top of things and yet, even when house rules in place and our best efforts it can still look two tornadoes ripped through our home at the end of a day.

Try getting them involved in the chores. Give them a task, make it a fun game and let 'em at it. My kids argue now over who gets to vacuum. LOL! Seriously, they do. They have their own feather dusters. They help me sort laundry. We made a game of pairing up socks. We play 'parachute' in an open space in the house with towels and/or sheets before we fold them up. We have a race to see who can find a blue toy first or a round item or whatever it is at the moment that's out. Once they show me what they've found they have to put it away. Get them involved WITH your housework.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• When find out let me know. lol. Some times I am able to get them involved in separate activities but for the most part I clean during the LO nap and in the evening,
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• well . . . u could smoke crack, or u could just give up like i did! i have 3 kids all a year apart. it's ok to let them work out their own issues. you have enough to do without playing ref all day! and dont worry, they'll usually stop hitting long before you have to go to the emergency room
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 5:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It wasn't till mine both went to school, I could get my chores done. Untill then, my house was a wreck most of the time, and people would have to call a schedule a visit a couple days in advance if they wanted to be able to see the floor or have any clean china to eat from - LOL !

When the kids are little, you're just gonna have to give yourself a break and realize : most days it ain't gonna happen (:
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 5:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Good god! I thought I was the only one with the problem. As the pp I tried to do the chores when my toddler is sleeping.
    One mother here had mentioned that it is a good idea to involve the kids in the activities. I place my son next to me in the kitchen counter while doing the dishes. I let him use the vacuum. When I'm doing the laundry my toddler puts the clothes in the washer it takes forever but at least he is helping mom. At the end of the day I still feel that haven't accomplished anything. "Procrastination "is my best friend right know. LOL.
    Anonymous