feel guilty for being a SAHM?

do you feel guilty for being a stay at home mom? i do sometimes because i dont bring in money but then again i think that i am teaching my son what i want him to learn and i get this time with him... how do you deal with being a stay at home mom? i love it to death but hate feeling guilty... seems it would be easier if it was a long time ago when staying at home was normal for a woman when she didnt have to work

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 5:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, I don't feel guilty at all. Daycare is expensive and I see no point in working just to pay someone else to take care of MY kid. I love being home with my daughter.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• i feel guilty when i see how tight we are on money but i would just pretty much turn all my money to daycare
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 5:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• as long as your family is taken care of and everyone including you is happy i see absolutely nothing wrong. babies need their mommies, not just baby sitters.
    Anonymous

• Never :) Its what my husband and I AGREED to do.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I wish I would have kept working part time nights or weekends. I am pretty much disabled now because of my back but I don't qualify for disability because I didn't work recently (even though I worked for 13 years before I became a SAHM). I kind of screwed my family now. I hope to work again nights or weekends as soon as possible. But there is no guarantee that I will recover enough to do anything.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• we do fine... sometimes money gets tight... i enjoy being with my son and yea i dont want to be like my parents i only saw them a few hours a day... i said i would get a part time job but he said that i dont need to everything is fine
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 5:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Women love feeling guilty. Do what you want to do and enjoy it. If you aren't enjoying what you are doing then do something else.

It may have been easier a long time ago if you didn't ever want to be anything other than Mrs. Bob Smith, mommy to Timmy. If you wanted to vote, use birth control, not get legally beat up by your husband, have a job, go to college, have a profession, be an artist, ect. then it wouldn't have been easier.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Only when I feel bad about how tight on money we are, and him having all the financial burden. Which is why, even though I HATE third shift, been lookin for a third shift job to avoid daycare, to help him out.
    Anonymous

• Nope, I never did, although various in-laws tried to make me feel that way. I told him from the start that if we had kids I was staying home with them, period. I understand everyone is different and some people need/have to work to make ends meet and others need to work for emotional/mental reasons, but to me, personally, I don't believe in having kids so someone else can raise them. I do look at it as a to each his own thing, and as long as someone doesn't feel the need to get all pissy about me staying home with my kids, I have no need to comment on their daycare usage.

However, guilt is not an emotion that speaks to me very often. One of the good ways autism makes me special. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Personally, I believe that women are biologically wired to be the caregivers, the ones that stay home and nurture the babies and clean the house. It's not that I don't think women should be able to work if they want to or need to, but I also think SAHM is a valid choice and that it's our modern culture telling women that it's not enough to be mother and wife, they also need to have a serious and lucrative career, that makes women feel guilty about doing what they are intended to do.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 6:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2010