How can I get my 4 year old to go to bed at a decent time without the hassel?

amazingracie

Asked by amazingracie at 5:34 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he/she take a nap? If so, try cutting that out.
    Anonymous

• What is a decent time and what is a hassle?

Some 4 year olds may go to bed at 7 and others may go to bed at 11. Some people believe in long routines and reading stories.

I believe in letting your kids go to sleep when they are tired. My youngest son was bothersome and that wasn't working. What I did with him was to tell him that if he was causing problems and it was dark out he had to go to bed. One or two times of having to go to bed before everyone else and he learned to be very nice in the dark. He shared a room with his brothers and didn't want to be the first to go to bed.

What a strange idea, letting your children go to bed when they are tired.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I say pick a time for him to go to bed ,and keep that time. then tell him you'll read him a story and then he's got to go to bed. if he takes naps cut his naps 15 minutes shorter . you can tire him up a little after dinner, go for a walk with him or have him ride his bike, then take him to a near by park, or out to the back yard and you guys play games that he has to do alot of running. gl :|
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2010