Would you tell you 2yo you were getting married?

My son's biological father got married today, and he didn't tell our 2-year-old until the event! I think 2 is old enough that he deserved some kind of preparation (my son is speaking in full sentences so I think he'd have SOME comprehension, plus I think he could have used some prep on why he needed to wear a suit and sit still for a couple hours), and they've been engaged for 3 months, he has weekly visitation...he had the opportunity, he just didn't think it was important. Am I the only one who thinks this is thoughtless?

(I explained weddings as best I could when I found out our son had no clue, BTW, and since then he has been talking about his dada's wedding and being a family with SM.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• hhmmmm... tough one. on one hand, explaining marrige to a 2 yr old who's been to the wedding, no doubt plants the seed of the importance of a traditional family unit. on the other hand, not telling him might have confused him about the ceremony. sure he has a right to know, but i think dada was right this time. if you didn't explain it, he might not have started this whole "family with SM" thing. usually, if a toddler needs more info, he'll ask for it. you might have confused him more by offering information he didn't care about. the more you talk about it, the more he might stress about his "new family"
    Anonymous

• OP here: He likes his new SM and SB (they're close in age and have played before), I just think having it explained to a child rather than just suddenly having two more people living in his dada's house was a bit gentler.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you- he should have been told. It should have been expained to him child's terms, that today was an important day for his dad and step-mom and your son.
    Anonymous

• Did they think he'd tell other family members they wanted to keep it a secret from? I think he should have been told. That's just weird. I wouldn't expect a full hour-long conversation, but I think even a toddler can understand a simple mention of why there was a wedding ceremony.
    Anonymous