Planning on giving my daughter a formula bottle tonight?

She has been feeding every half an hour to hour and a half for the past 5 days and nights, she doesn't take a pacifier and I feel shattered (I know it comes with being a mum) so I was planning on giving her a formula bottle tonight in the hopes that she stays fuller for a bit longer so I can actually get some sleep! I still plan on breastfeeding her but I was wondering if this will effect the benefits of breastfeeding? Or what difference it will make giving her forumla at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could have a detrimental affect on supply...and the HIGH likelihood is it won't make her sleep. Nothing YOU do can make her do so. She has to grow into that.

In fact..the formula COULD potentially upset her tummy and keep her up all night rather than every hour to 90 minutes. Been there and done that!

These things MIGHT NOT happen. But be aware that the risk is there.

You must pump to make up for the missed feeding, in any event.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• One more thought. If you're not sleeping when she sleeps, start. Leave things undone. It's OK.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It can take a baby a month to recover from just one bottle of formula. This is not me saying it, it is the lactation scientists saying it.

http://massbfc.org/formula/bottle.html

You are going to get moms that say it didn't hurt their babies. I guess they have X-ray vision and can see their baby's insides and they had stool cultures done to see when their baby recovered normal gut bacteria.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Gdiamante is right, plus even one bottle of formula sometimes negates the benefit of allergy protection for baby, because of their "open gut".

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you try it, I hope it works for you!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Lol, I tried to breastfeed and OMH it was rediculious how much my son resisted. I had the lactation nurse help me and i had other nurses try to get him to latch, so unfortunately after a month and already feeding him Infamil honestly I gave up. Bottles are not the end of the world and you aren't even giving up on breastfeeding. It doesn't matter hun, honestly just do what you think is right not what everyone else things you should do. if you think that giving her a bottle would be to her benefit, do it, if not, don't. Its always up to you.
    FullMoonAngel

Answer by FullMoonAngel at 5:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If you don't nurse- or at least pump- while she's eating at night, your supply will go down. My DH and I made the personal decision to co-sleep with our DD after she woke up the 2nd time each night. I would nurse her at bed time, once about 1:30 when she woke up, and then bring her to bed with me after that-- I was able to sleep while she nursed. It worked well for us.
    BUT co-sleeping is a personal decision that each family must make for itself.

Like the pp said, formula won't make her sleep longer. She's still young, and she needs to eat as often as she needs to eat- every child is different.

Good luck.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 5:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It's normal for a baby to nurse every hour and a half and good that your baby doesn't take pacifiers. It is recommended that bottles, pacifiers, or formula not be given during the first 6-8 weeks.

You sound discouraged. It's normal. That's why it's better not to have formula in the house so you aren't tempted to use it. Go to bed and keep your baby in bed with you. Keep a small bed for baby next to you and have exerything you need close by so you don't have to get up much. Let others help with other things that need done. You have one job and that's to feed your baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• i understand yo need some sleep! can you nap during the day with her? have you considered bed sharing? i sleep with my babies, and you hardly wake to feed them. i never felt tired when cosleeping with my single babies...but honestly still felt tired bfing twins through the night.
    good luck to you !
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• How old is your dd? I ff my dd (gave up trying to bf... not for us) but she didn't sleep more than 2 hours until she was a month old. In the begining I was also a VERY tired mother like all of us are! Sleep when she sleeps and ignore the household things until she wakes up then bring her with you! I didn't have a sling, I just did everything one handed. I don't think the bottle is going to make a difference and you're the one who chose this in the first place. My only suggestion is pump a few bottles and hand her to someone else (a mother/dh or someone close and related) for a few hours to catch up on your sleep.
    Anonymous

• Any time you offer a bottle to a breastfed baby you run the risk of not getting them to take the breast again. Also, supplementing can decrease your supply.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2010