DOG HELP.....

we were looking into getting a rott pup i have grown up with them, i found some on craigslist, called and they want $1000 dollars! they are papered but... he wont give you the papers unless we get it spayed!? the whole point of having papers is to show them and you can not show your dog if it is spayed.....

is $1000 a normal price for a female rott pup?

joycegina

Asked by joycegina at 5:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pets

• It's a normal price, but I wouldn't let my money leave my hand without those papers.

-xoxo-

Answer by -xoxo- at 6:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Are you looking for a pet or to make money? The only reason you'd need papers is if you are planning on breeding. If you dont want to breed, tell the breeder, they'll sell you a breeding quality pup with papers, but it'll be more than 1000.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• i am not looking to breed, i just think its crazy to pay that much for a dog with no papers unless its spayed..... what if i wanted to show her?!
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 6:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I am a foster for 2 rescues and I would never have a rottie or a mix or a pit or a bullie mix. They can bite a kids face off just because they feel like it. They can act all nice one min. at an adoption event and someone goes by and for no reason they can go crazy.

Get a nice 40-50 pound mutt from a rescue and I bet you won't be disappointed. Lab mixes are know to be great with kids. If you get a dog that is around a year it is old enough that you will know what you are getting and it may be housebroken and trained.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Just a couple weeks ago around here in Portland, OR, a family rott killed the 4 yr old daughter of the family. They had 2 rotts and no history of biting. There was also another incindent concerning a family rott. I wouldn't get one. My daughter just got a mini Australlian Shepherd. He is a very good, obediant little guy. I'm not bashing on rotts, I just wouldn't want to take the risk with agressive large breeds.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 6:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It sounds like the breeder is trying to look for his puppies. I think $1000 is a bit much but if they are show quality that is fair. I would ask him if he is has pet quality stock because they tend to be a bit cheaper. You might also just keep looking, maybe even look for a Rottie Rescue. I love Rotties and when I decide to add one to our family I plan on going to a Rottie Rescue.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• ok THANKS GUYS.... that was noooo help! i said i have grown up with them!... i know their temperment, any dog can be mean if you raise it to be. we have a pug, and our rott just passed. so does anyone have an answer that actually will answer my question?
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 6:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• thanks KyliesMom5
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 6:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• The price sounds right for the breed. We paid $500 for a long haired black German Shepherd for my FIL for Father's Day a few years back. We were friends with the breeder and he told us later on that when he spoke to the AKC, they told him that with the puppies blood line(Mom was a pitch black GS and Dad was a German GS show dog) that they would have been well within their rights to charge upwards of $1500. If you do have any questions, check out the breeder or call the AKC and find out. It's up to you whether or not you choose to spay or neuter the dog that you're spending 1K on.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 7:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Why does somebody always have to make a comment about not getting a certain breed. Everybody in the free world knows "aggressive" breeds and if they still want one you can't talk them or scare them out of it especially if they grew up with them. Let us have our "aggressive" breeds in peace. We are not the problems backyard dog fighters and people who trained the dogs to be mean are the problem.

OP, the price seems right to me. If you voice your plans with some breeders they might be willing to work with you. My sil just got a mini Australian shepherd, she wanted ONE litter from the puppy whereas the breeder had told her she would give her the papers once the puppy was spayed. My sil talked it out with the breeder and they came to an agreement.. Good Luck!
    Anonymous