HELP!!!!!!! MY DAUGHTER IS 15 MOS. OLD AND I WAS CURLING MY HAIR WHEN MY SON WAS ASKING ME TO OPEN HIS JUICE O I SET THE CURLING IRON ON THE SINK {IT'S HIGH }SO MY DAUGHTER WLDNT REACH IT WHEN MY DAUGHTER STARTS CRYING CUZ I GUESS SHE PULLED THE CORD WHEN I WAS OPENING THE JUICE .... I IMMEDIATEL PICKED HER UP AND CHECKED HER HAND .... WHAT DO I DO? HER DR IS CLOSED TODAY

I WAS CURLING MY HAIR AND MY SON CAME IN THERESTROOM ASKING ME TO OPEN HIS JUICE SO I SETTHE CURLING IRON ON THE SINK WHICH BY THE WAY IS HIGH AND WHEN I TURN AROUND FROM OPENING MY SONS JUICE I HEAR HER CRY I IMMEDIATELY PICK HER U AND CHECK HER HAND !! SHE HAS LIL BLISTERS ON HER FINGER.... I WAS CRYING ALONG WITH HER BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA HOW SHE REACHED IT IM GUESSING SHE PULLED THE CORD IF IT WAS HANGING CZ I HONESTLYDONT KNOW IF IT WAS HANGING! HER DR. IS CLOSED TODAY AND THERES NO CLINICS OR HOSPITALS NEAR AND MY HUBBY TOOK THE CAR AND WORKS FAR.... WHAT DO I DO PLEASE IM DESPERATE WHAT DO I PUT ON HER FINGER!!!!{ I FEEL LIKE A HORRIBLE MOM } I ALWAYS CHECK EVERYTHING!!!

Naralie

Asked by Naralie at 6:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• run it under cold water. put ice and water in a ziploc baggie together and keep it on the burn.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• calm down. she's not the 1st kid to burn herself on the curling iron lol! don't run her hand under cold water. that will only intensify the pain when u have to turn the water off. if the blister isn't bleeding, stick her finger in butter. when she calms down, give her some ice cream or a popcicle. she'll b fine.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 6:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Blisters on the hand from a burn always (no matter the age) = a trip to the ER. Go to the ER now. Burns on the face or hands of a child should always be seen by a dr right away.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Run cold water on it or put the effected area in ice water..

Answer by louise2 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Cold water yes, do you have neosporin or A&D ointment? Either one of those are excellent for burns like this. Don't panic, she will be okay. When my son was little, still using his walker, I had the oven open to get dinner out of it and he came over and before I knew what was happening, he grabbed the grill with his hand and burned it. I had a nurse that lived in the apartment next to me and she had an Aloe Vera plant, tore off a piece of it and put the juice on his hand. He was fine. My daughter now has a 18 month old baby girl and she just pulled the curling iron off her counter the other day and got a burn. These things happen sometimes. A&D Ointment or neosporin, an Aloe Vera plant is great to have around as well.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 6:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• oh, and btw, ur not a bad mom unless u burn ur kid intentionally
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 6:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• NO BUTTER!!!!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I wanted NO BUTTER up as quickly as possible. If she needs treatment and butter has been put on they will have to remove all the skin that has had the butter put on. This can be worse than the burn. Butter is the worse thing you can do. I am sure. I was a Cubmaster, I have a son that is an EMT and another that is a RN. We know first aid.

Moms of young children, please consider getting rid of your curling irons. Burns are common. I know a family that their dog knocked the iron in the tub and the pregnant mom was killed leaving behind a husband and 2 year old. If you have to have one put it somewhere very safe, on top of a 5 ft dresser in your bedroom.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:13 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• DO NOT PUT BUTTER ON IT. It is oil and holds the heat in. Cold water. Aloe. You can google a medical website for more info. Call the local hospital, tell them what happened, and ask what you can do.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 6:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Run her hand under COOL water for about 10 minutes just to stop the deeper layers of skin from getting damaged and it will soothe the pain, I would give her infant tylenol to help the pain as well. She will be fine
    nellyb118

Answer by nellyb118 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 25, 2010