running off in stores.

my dughter is always running off in stores and sometimes wont listen, unless i threaten her with punishment, even if i dont actualy do the punishment.......... why?..

jlouise03

Asked by jlouise03 at 6:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Because she is at the age where she is testing her independence. Be careful though, too many times of not following through with a threat and your threats will no longer stop her.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Because she's a toddler! lol When we go to the store, I put my daughter in the cart (for as long as she'll allow...lol). Once she gets fussy, I let her down and let the hubby do the shopping while I walk around with her. She always seems to find her way to the toy aisle and goes for the first pink thing she can find......lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Kids like to run off, that's the way they are.

Why do you threaten? Why do you say listen when you mean obey? Why do you punish? Why do you do these things when you know they don't work?

Because you don't know what else to do.

Love & Limits is a toddler parenting book with a problem solving approach. It's written by Elizabeth Crary and she has a website called Star Parents. The website has a handout you can print out with parenting ideas to get you started.

Good luck.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I have a harness and leash that I use when we go out. I get some strange looks but most of the time people look at me and congratulate me for having my child under control. She will be on a harness and a leash until I see fit to stop using them and know with unwavering confidence that she will not take off and will stay by my side when told to do so.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:30 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• OMG, I would stay home before I treated my kid like a dog!
    Anonymous

• my little one is like that to,she runs and looks back and laughs almost like she wants us to chase her.i just started pating her butt and puting her in the cart until she calms down. its just a phase
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 6:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• That is something you have to teach your child from a young age. My daughter will be 3 soon and either holds my hand or hold onto the cart and has never run off. My advice is to stop with the empty threats. Kids catch on that they're empty pretty quick.
    Anonymous

• Because you threaten and don't carry through with it. My 16 month old knows that if he doesn't stay right with me then he goes in his stroller or strapped into the cart. I don't have to threaten, because he knows what will happen.

Answer by missanc at 7:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I place my DD immediately in the cart if she pulls a stunt like that. She knows she only gets the privilege of walking around if she stays right next to me. Empty threats won't do anything. You have to stick to a punishment for running off.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:40 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Just put her in the cart. Then there's no need for threats. Toddlers of this age are naturally curious. MY daughter is 21 months old, and unless I'm only going to be in a store for a few minutes, she always sits in the cart.

Oh and anon 632, using a harness doesn't mean a mom is treating her child like a dog. She is trying to protect him.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2010