should i// ir can i?? take godmother status away??

i made my sister godmother when my dd was baptized, and she does nothing for her, she never babysits or spends time w my daughter, shes lives 10 minutes away, everytime my dd sees her, she doesnt warm up barely... .. my husband is pissed at her, becasue we cant rely on her at all when it comes to our daughter and wants to un make her the godmother?.. is that even possible, or is it just wrong, ......... if i could go in time and make my youngest sister the godmother i would, she is dd favorite aunt and does just about anything for her. she is great with her and the gurl i would make the godmother if i changed it....... what would you do?

jlouise03

Asked by jlouise03 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Can I just point out that the babysitting part of her question was just a small part of it. She also said she never spends time with her and does nothing for her.

Regardless of whether her sister babysits or not, she still shows a complete lack of interest in her Goddaughter/niece.

That being said, for those that believe that the Godparent is supposed to be responsible for religious education, that is clearly not happening. That should be the focus, not the fact that she doesn't babysit.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Godmother is just a title. It doesn't give her any special rights to your child.

If you feel that your other sister is a better choice for being your daughter's Godmother then go ahead and make the change.
    Your sister who is currently the Godmother of your child doesn't seem to be interested at all in your DD's life so she really shouldn't care if she's demoted in favor of your younger sister who is actively involved and excited about it.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Generally you CANNOT undo. Godparents are appointed at baptism, and you only get one go-around for that in most faiths. The godparent is ONLY responsible for religious education, nothing else.

Your husband may be making the common mistake of thinking the godparent becomes guardian should something happen to you. Legally, that doesn't happen UNLESS the godparent is next of kin and you've made no other provisions in your will.

Doesn't mean you can't make the favored aunt a big part of your daughter's life AND appoint her as guardian in your will.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I say go for it. The whole point of being a godmother is to entrust in that person to treat your child as their own if something tragic were to happen. In this case I would switch it for sure.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's a Godmothers responsibility to be a reliable babysitting source.
    Anonymous

• To be honest with you,i have never ever met any Godparents that do anything besides have the title.I wouldnt just not say anything your DD will just be closer to the auntie that cares.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 6:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• A godmother isn't a babysitter. The person has religious responsibilities. You should talk to your priest or minister to see if you can change.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• What gdiamante said.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 6:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• "The whole point of being a godmother is to entrust in that person to treat your child as their own if something tragic were to happen."

Again...that's a misconception. Godparents have NO legal standing if a tragedy was to happen UNLESS appointed in a will.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Since when does God Mother = Babysitter?
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010