how do i get my already potty trained 3 year old to stop wetting the bed and her pants?

My daughter is 3 and a half years old. She has been fully potty trained since she was 2 and a half. She never had accidents until recently. All of the sudden she is wetting the bed and wetting in her pants when is playing in her room in the morning. The rest of the day she uses the bathroom regularly. I have brought her to the drs thinking it was a uti but the dr said it could just be spasms from a virus. It has been two weeks now and still no change. Please help!

arabbitt07

Asked by arabbitt07 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We went thru that phase too. She is probably getting so interested in what she is doing that she doesn't stop to realize that she needs to go. Start reminding her...not asking her. I just tell her that it's time to go potty. As for bedtime...do you restrict drinks before bed? You may want to start that if you aren't already.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• all I can suggest is the obvious that you are probably already doing....make sure she doesn't have anything to eat or drink at least an hour before bedtime and make sure she goes potty right before bed and as soon as she wakes up......
    meegan26

Answer by meegan26 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It's not unusual for this to happen. be patient and remind her to go potty. No fluids after 6pm and potty before bed.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My 4 year old son is doing this now... a while ago, he went twice in his pants. He's also been using the toilet since he was 2.

I personally think it's that she's having too much fun. Needs a reminder that she needs to stop her activity to go potty, and it will be there when she gets back. I told my son... do I need to put you back in diapers? He was upset and said no. I said okay then you need to use the potty. I understand you're having fun... mommas and daddas have fun too, but we stop what we're doing to go potty too. So far he's been better.

I'm just going to be consistent with him.

I also stopped giving him drinks an hour and a half before bed.... That will surely help.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 8:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• She's still too young to know when she has to go on her own if she's wrapped up in something fun. You need to go and remind her to go potty.

A lot of kids can potty train right off, but it takes a while to get the nighttime bladder control. That's a long time to go without going potty and some kids don't get a clear message from their bladder while they are sleeping telling them to wake up and go potty. It's perfectly normal. Do Pull Ups overnight for a while.
    Anonymous

• Well, I say just make sure she goes pee before going to bed. also you might try having her wear training pants at night , maybe she'll realize that she doesn't like that wet feeling. and it might all stop. gl.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2010