Need advice?

I have an 8 month old son And my parents keep telling me that I need to discipline my baby but I'm worried it's too soon. He hits me and yells at me. But I'm not sure he knows what he's doing. I told him no the other day and he stuck out his lip and cried it broke my heart! Any advice?

aidensmama09

Asked by aidensmama09 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A firm no while putting his hands down should be fine for his age. And yes that look they get breaks your heart, but be strong and consistent.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• you dont need to dispipline him harshly, but you do need to teach him its not nice to hit... suck it up when he pouts , you gotta toughn up.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• You do need to correct the behavior but he is too young to 'discipline' him. Take his hands in yours and tell him no. when he cries it is because you used the stern mommy voice. don't give in or it will be twice as hard later to break that habit.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• it is probably going to break your heart every time you dicipline him. personaly i think 8 months is too early unless he is obviously aware of his actions and likes the response he gets
    Anonymous

• What is he doing so wrong that you have to DISCIPLINE him (as your family is saying you need to) Your LO is testing his limits and seeing how far he can get without him getting into trouble. Telling him no no is about all I did with my LO at that age.
    Anonymous

• I agree telling him a firm no is sufficient. What do they expect you to do, reinforce his hitting behavior by hitting him back??? He'll grow out of it.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 8:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I agree a firm no is age appropriate.

As moms/parent's its hard to watch our kids when they get sad, even if it's due to our discipline, it's hard but consistency works. Just remind yourself you're a good mom, and he'll out grow this phase, I just need to guide him through it.

Good luck! :D
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 8:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Hold his hands still, tell him no, and redirect his attention. That's the only "discipline" a baby that age is going to understand.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Don't confuse "discipline" and "punish". Discipline is learning to control his actions, and he is a little young, but it's ok to say no if he does something that could hurt himself or someone else. Punishment is not necessary at his age, but just re-direct him to something he is allowed to do and praise him for good things, like being gentle with the dog or cat, or not throwing his food, etc.
    There is nothing wrong with letting him know that a behavior is not ok - like saying "no biting" or "we don't kick people", but there is no need to spank or yell at him if that is what your family has in mind.
    Anonymous