How to not be jeolous of the other "woman" (his job)

My husband is a good man and provider for our family. The only problem is his career requires long hours and this is so stressful for me and I believe our son needs more daddy time. Corporate America could care less about family!!! I have talked to other wives of this career and they all complain of the same thing! So how do I handle this without losing my mind or hateing him?

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Relationships

• I know how ya feel. My hubby works 65 hour weeks sometimes. We meet for lunch sometimes at kiddy friendly restaurants..with play areas. We also schedule family days for quality time. The little time off that we have, we try to put it to good use. good luck... it is rough, i know.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 8:11 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• HAHAHA we are in the same boat. I say my husbands job is the "other woman". My husband tells me all the time you complain when I'm gone all the time but you don't complain when the check comes in. All I can say is talk to him a lot and see what yall can figure out. We made a deal come 5 o clock when he's not on a call he jumps in his truck and comes home and we have family time! Hope that helps some.

Answer by hanksmom0207 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My husband left the corporate world a year ago to be home and help raise our child. With this change so did our lifestyle? (No more eating out, no more pedicures, no new clothes, etc.) I often wonder if the women who complain and resent their husbands hard work, could handle the sacrifices they would have to make should he stay home, or quit his job. Be happy, don't be selfish and understand it is probably just as hard for him to be away as it is for you to have him gone all day.

• OP here. Yes I agree with what your saying Anonymous but I am already making those sacrifices. He doesn't make a whole lot of money and I am SAHM because its what he really wants. There is nothing left to give up in this house except the internet and he needs it for his work. We were without it for 3yrs and we have NEVER had cable...

• OP here again. Forgot to say I worked to put him through school and I've had 2 peds my whole life. We are a couple of poor kids that have struggled to get where we are and thats not far. So I don't have any luxerys to give up. We are really just starting out.
    My son is having a really hard time with daddy working late and his stress level is stressing me out. Like I said corporate america doesn't care about family. I want to keep mine together, thats why I am asking this question.
    So it would be more helpful if you would tell me how your family survived when he was in corporate america... Him leaving his job is not an option since I could only get very low paying job that wouldn't even cover our mortgage on our tiny 1100sqft house.

• I completely empathize. The weeks that my husband works *at the least* 75 hours per week, sometimes as much as close to 100 hours. He works as an orthopedic rep and so he's always in and out of surgeries and whatnot. I think you have to be sure that he knows how big of a priority your family is. Even though hubby works long hours, he spends all of his free time with us. He even sometimes comes home on lunch if he's not out of the area/out of town.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• You just have to keep the lines of communication open between the two of you. Take time to understand the other persons day, and like I said before it is probably just as hard for him. Be positive, loving, be someone he wants to come home to everyday, be someone he cant stop thinking about. Love each other, thats how you survive it!

• What does he do? Will it be this way forever? (What I mean by that is sometimes when a person is new to their career, they have to pay their dues first, which I know isn't fair, but that's just how it is sometimes.) Ex/ when we had our first child, for the first 4 months, my hubby was the one home at night with our baby because I was working nights. I was finishing up school during the day and working 2 part time jobs that were helping my career. And one was unfortunately at night (but at the same time, fortunate because I had school).

And it wasn't like that forever. So, maybe this is just a hard time for you all, and will hopefully get better.

Answer by NovaChk at 9:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008