Do you agree with Coburn holding up the unemployment benefits extension?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100325/ap_on_bi_ge/us_unemployment_benefits

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You know, that is a tough one. I am unemployed, so it really really helps. On the other hand, we don't have the money to keep sending it to all the unemployed! I decided a while ago that if they say I qualify for whatever extension, OK, but I'm not gonna fuss if they cut me off. I would prefer that the gov't back off so the businesses can feel safe to hire people, that we encourage corps to keep their plants and factories up and running here at home instead of shipping them overseas.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I agree with it! I'm so sick of hearing "well, hubby is getting more on unemployment than he would at the jobs he can get right now" and where I live now, apparently you don't even have to look for a job while on unemployment! Back where I used to live, you had to actually look for a job and get potential employers to fill out a little card to keep getting benefits! I want to get paid for sitting on my butt too but that isn't going to happen so why should other people?
    Anonymous

• It sucks but there just isn't enough money. I have been hoping that all that stimulus would work even though I disagreed with it from the start. I wonder if they would have kept that money and used it towards the ue payments maybe things would be looking up. UE isn't getting better and unfortunately the system can't support everyone that is UE. You can't give money we don't have soon they will start sending IOUs to them.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I want to get paid for sitting on my butt too but that isn't going to happen so why should other people?
    ----
    I have a lot of really nasty things to say to you, but I decided to be a grown up instead. When I was receiving unemployment, I got a whoppin' $600 per month. Whoopie doo, that bought groceries and put gas in the car for me to go look for a job when I wasn't filling out online applications and sending out resumes. My benefits ran out in January, and I'm certainly not complaining, but I still don't have a job. The extended benefits certainly would help, but if it means listening to people like you bitch and moan, then I certainly would rather starve. I'm holding off applying for PA, but if I don't get a job soon, I will have to. I've applied everywhere btw, and would be happy with a minimum wage job, even though that would be far less than I was making, at least I could get a regular paycheck and maybe some benefits.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sick of hearing "well, hubby is getting more on unemployment than he would at the jobs he can get right now" and where I live now, apparently you don't even have to look for a job while on unemployment! Back where I used to live, you had to actually look for a job and get potential employers to fill out a little card to keep getting benefits!
    -----
    Where do you live that people can collect without doing anything? I believe that everyone who gets benefits has to do something in order to receive those benefits. And the card thing went the way of the rotary dial phone that was attached to the wall. Now, some communities require something like that to receive PA, which is so different from UEC.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• We have to draw a line somewhere. I hate it for the families that want jobs and that are looking for jobs. But, we can't keep spending money we don't have. Our govt really messed up. The stimulus plan should have been used to actually stimulate instead of bail out companies, marsh mice and turtles. So much could have been done that would have encouraged real growth and real jobs.

This is what happens when a lawyer instead of a business owner is elected president. We have got to come up with better candidates next time around...if it's not too late.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• It's pathetic that we are in this economic crisis, but if there is no money, there is no money. No Mas.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If there were jobs out there, I'd be all for it. Because there aren't enough jobs out there, and we're about to lose a whole lot more over the next 4 years rather than gain any, it's a bad idea. There are different types of unemployment - what we have right now is cyclical. It's tied directly to the economy and it's the type that really, there's not anything the government can do to correct it. The government can make it worse, but not correct it.

That said, I really hope that's the conversation that comes out of it - that they need to quit screwing around trying to tinker with the economy and micromanage it in ways that are beyond their power, and instead let it take it's natural course so it can FINALLY correct itself and we can have jobs again.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Where do you live that people can collect without doing anything?

Michigan, you have to do next to nothing. Register with job works and click a button online to update your resume now and then. And yes I do agree with him. The people voted into office a president and congress that have passed much anti job legislation that it's time to pay the price for that vote.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2010