help! prescription question

my son went to the dr well the dr said she sent over the script thru email. i went to get it and by that time it was after 5 and the dr office was closed. pharmacy never recieved it so i had to call the on call dr to send it in. it was for a nebulizer treatment. well i said i didn't remember what it was but it started with a P. when i picked it up i saw it was pulmicort. and then i looked online there is another one called preventil. the pulmicort is for 1 to 8 yr olds. my son is 11 months but he is 29lbs so im not sure if that makes a difference. but im not sure if i should give it to him or wait and call in the morning...i don't wanna give him the wrong medication :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• definitely wait until you know for sure.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• also usually doctors have an oncall service, you can always call the doctor's office and they will page your doctor and have him/her call you back.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Before you give it to him, call your pedi's answering service. Or call up a 24-hour pharmacy and explain that you need to know if the dose that is marked on the medicine is correct for his age & weight. I have called our 24 hour Walgreens before even for a prescription I got filled at the grocery store, and their pharmacist is always super helpful. It's better to be very cautious and double check, because even drs and pharmacies can make mistakes.
    Anonymous

• call the on call doc. - but I wouldnt be surpised if it was pulmicort.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I would wait... pulmicort and proventile (albuterol) are NOT the same thing and are used differently.
    The pulmicort would something you would use 2 times a day and the albuterol would be something you would use for wheezing as needed as often as every 4 hours at home.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2010