I was wondering.....

If you worship the same beliefs the Roman, Greek, and Egypt empires I have a question for you. Why are are they all destroyed? If their beliefs were true, and their so-called gods are real why are they in ruins?This is just a question not meant to offend.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• They were "destroyed" because their empires were destroyed. It's just a fact of history, when one country takes over they do their absolute best to "squash" the beliefs and values of the other. They're all very different beliefs, moreso the Egyptian gods and goddesses than the Roman/Greek gods and goddesses. It's all very fascinating stuff--those that worshiped those gods did so with the same fervor that Christians do with their god. Lots of parallels.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I am not of those beliefs. However my history teacher believed along the Greek side of what you are referring. Yes they are all very different you can tell by reading about them. What he told a student in my class who asked a similar question was that the ancient people became hungry with power. Which is an explanation that can be backed with a simple history book. Your question does sound condescending though since you said you are not intending to offend I will believe that I just wanted to warn you against being attacked for the wording you choose.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• This is the questions and answers section and I have a question I want answered.
    Anonymous

• People are going to be offended.....too bad.

It is in wording which you should realize by now. I was not insulting or intending rudeness just giving a heads up.

OP I had no problem with your question I was pointing some thing out for you so you understood that if people end up offended it was in the wording not the question it's self.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Religious beliefs were often tied with politics of the ruling class. As nations and civilizations were conquered their beliefs were replaced by that of the conquering nation. Often under fear of death. I'm sure I need not mention the crusades as evidence of this. Monotheism has simply been more successful as it is easier to control a nation or people when they only have one god to follow and instead of several representing different aspects which may feud with one another.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Good question, I don't know why people still believe in Christ after the fall of the Christian Roman Empire. But they do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• For the same reason that the Israelites were captured and destroyed more than once. For the same reason that Christians were tormented and killed...

Because the Gods do not step in like that. They aren't going to hinder human progress. It's our choice whether or not to follow and honor them.

Bad things happen to people and cultures of ALL religious backgrounds. It doesn't mean that God isn't there or that their Gods aren't powerful. It simply means that they aren't going to interfere with every aspect of mortal life and they have to allow us to make our own mistakes.

My attitude is this though... If they were so wrong, so powerless, why is it that their myths and their traditions have survived down through 3000+ years? Do you not think when it was time for their reemergence they didn't guide the hand of those looking so that they would be re-found, reborn to a new generation?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Because the Mother Goddess and Father God aren't AP helicopter parents.

treehuggingdirtworshiper
    Anonymous

• I believe all gods are ONE GOD; all goddesses, ONE GODDESS.

The names and stories were created by humans, and it was these humans whose empires were destroyed.

But the Lord and Lady are still here...We just call them by different names now.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• These mythologies have lasted for many many centuries and existed longer than the bible itself. Indeed the Egyptian book of the dead and book of life are 10 times older than the bible--yet their stories and gods are still known today. A civilization dies because it's people refuse to move forward, stagnating in religious ritual and refusing progress. At least that's why America is descending in to the muck and mire, lagging behind the more modern European nations. Christians refuse to allow this county to grow up or move into the future.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2010