switching from bottle to cuppy is driving me nuts!!!!! please help

we are switching or trying to switch our son to the cuppy and get him off the bottle... he keeps asking for the baba and i said no hunny we need to use the cuppy and gave him the cuppy everytime he takes a drink he opens his mouth and gets whatever he is drinking all over the place... what do i do is there a different cuppy i can use maybe its coming out to fast... i dont know... please help

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 9:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when we switched our son, we tried to get a cup that most resembled a bottle nipple. it was i think playtex and it has the handles on the side. i cant remember exactly what brand because it has been a couple years. try that and see if it helps. good luck!!
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Oh my gosh, as soon as you find out - let me know. My DD is 17mo. old and I can't find any cuppy that she'll take. Though she'll drink from a straw - but hates the straw cuppys. It's soooooo hard..
    ramzmomma

Answer by ramzmomma at 10:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I would get the ones that r spill proff it will say it those only let them get some out only if the suck on it those r what I use on my daughter havent had any problems yet.
    Anonymous

• for my oldest we transistioned him from a gerber bottle to a gerber sippy cup. it was a rubber spout.. not a hard one.. more like a nipple.. i find that hard ones when they are so little they have the most trouble with. it really just takes some getting used to... with my youngest we just cold turkey cut her off the bottle and kept giving her a sippy. there are literally hundreds of different kinds out there.. and we had to try quite a few different ones to find the one that our kids were most comfortable with. good luck.
    juandmad09

Answer by juandmad09 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Nuby are the best
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We had a TERRIBLE time trying to switch from the bottle to the sippy. I tried every cup I could find, and she didn't like any of them, and then one day at my grocery store I found these and tried it because it was different than any we had tried before, and it was very similar to a bottle. It's called the Nuby sport-sipper. I couldn't find a picture to paste on here, but here is a link so that you can see what they look like. The only thing I didn't like about them was that the silicone "spill-proof" part wore out rather quickly. After she got used to using one of these, she had no problem using some of the other sippies that I had tried before that didn't work out.
    http://www.nuby.com/en/nuby/cups-spouts/1214
    BeulahBuford

Answer by BeulahBuford at 1:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I SECOND THE NUBY!!! You can get a pack of 5 for like, $6 at Toys R Us, or in a 2 pack at walmart for $4 I think. I tried Playtex, Avent, Tupperware, and finally found the Nuby! I couldn't be more excited to share them, I buy them for my friends!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I could not get our 15 month old to drink out of a sippy cup to save my life.
    We got one of those transitional sippy cups from Walmart. Its a pack of 3. The first one is a bottle nipple, let him use that for about a week. The second is a bottle nipple but shaped more like a straw. The third is a sippy cup (but still rubber) drinking spout.
    Our toddler did not even notice a difference.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 3:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We're having the exact same problem with our 16 mo old. It seems like the fact these cups and straws are spill proof actually makes it harder for them to get liquid out of it. Our daughter can drink out of a juice box straw w/o any problems, but she can't get a drop out of those spill proof straws. I'm going to replace them with a regular straw. I'd rather clean up spills if it means getting her weaned off bottles.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Both my girls went from boob to sippy cups at 6 1/2 months old. I used the ones with valves in them. No spill and they had to suck like they did when they were on the boob. Good luck don't give up it will come...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010