Bad diapers, any suggestions?

My 17 mo. old is having alot of runny diapers lately. Not all of it is diareah, lots of it is just soft. But it causes her a quick painful rash, it seems like as soon as I get rid of one, she's getting another. She never had a diaper rash until this month.. So this is so new to us.
Is there certain food's I should keep from her - that could be causing her poo to be more acidy (if that's what you'd even call it..!?)
Basically is there food's that can cause the poo to be more prone to a rash...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It very well could be a food allergy or just an intolerance. Some kids can't tolerate dairy, tomotoes, corn, citrus, etc.
    It might also be something as simple as changing brands of diapers (or detergents if you are using cloth diapers).
    You can try keeping a food journal for her so you can tell when she has bad diapers what she ate before it happened. If she was recently on any kind of medicine, especially antibiotics, it can mess up the natural flora of the digestive system, and you might be able to give her some probiotics to help her out. Our pedi suggested giving our toddler chewable probiotic tablets we get over the counter @ CVS to help with stomach cramps and diarhea/constipation and it has helped a lot.
    Anonymous

• Yogurt! Make sure she is getting at least one serving of yogurt every day (or alternatively probiotics). You can also coat her in a thin layer of vaseline...my daughter tends to have bowel movements at the same time every day so I have a pretty good idea about when they're coming and just coat her the diaper change before. Citrus (oranges, grapefruit, etc.), strawberries, tomato are common culprits.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If it's red bumpy patches on her bottom, she might have a yeast rash. Cutting out sugary drinks (even plain fruit juice) can help, and you can even put a thin layer of plain yogurt on it to help clear it up, or break open a probiotic capsule and sprinkle it right on her diaper area.

Here's a helpful link:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T081400.asp
    Anonymous

• did you have to put her on an antibiotic. My niece would get HORRIBLE diaper rash when she needed to be on meds!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I just took dd for a lot of the same thing. She had a rash and first dr called it "excema" but one day she was suddenly rashy ALL over her body so I rushed her in again! Turns out she's allergic to either dairy or wheat which is really hard to figure out! The dr explained that while they don't have any symtoms while eating it, expelling it causes a diaper rash looking rash and it's because it touches the skin! Try Hydrocortozone creme 1% and vaseline!!! That gets rid of the rash and watch what she eats and what appears the next day!!! Idk about your dd, but mine was on lactose free formula her first year.... yet she was fine when I gave her milk up until now. Also, tomatoes, and one other very common food can cause this, just watch what she eats! GL mama!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• maybe she has to stay away from greens. I mean my co-worker little boy can't eat any greens or he'll have a runny diaper. Don't know if he gets any rashes ,that she didn't say. :)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2010