How do I teach him "No"?

My 14 mo. old son laughs when I tell him no.
I stay serious and change my tone of voice. He keeps doing it and thinks it's a game. I have tried slapping his hand away and he has begun slapping me back.
I pick him up or distract him but it doesn't solve anything in the long run.....

What can I do to teach him his limits?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 10:43 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stand Your Ground, Follow Through, and Be Consistant.
    Time outs have worked for my son. I give him one warning "You do not get into the TV cabnit. If you do it again you're going into time out." He does it again, then I pick up up and put him in time out. He gets a one minute time out. (One minute for every year they are old.) If he gets up I tell him once "You are in time out, you need to sit there for one minute" and start the time over. The next time he gets up, if he does, I put him back in silence. And everytime after that in silence. This is just an example for the first few times he gets a time out. After they get the hint they'll stay unless they're super onry that day.

Be consistant, follow through, and don't back down. You can also tell him "This is not a game, I am serious, you do this again and ....." Be very firm. You don't have to yell, but be very firm.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Repatition is the best way. Good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• NO! repetition is not a good idea. The word NO is not a good idea. Try to explain things to him. I was going through this a few months back. Guess what? Its back to bite me in the ass, everything I say my DD says NO or NOPE and yeah she likes the way it sounds but still its very frustrating
    Anonymous

• redirect. redirect and redirect some more. It gets old and it is frustrating but honestly that's about all you can do
    hang in there!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• time outs. my dd is 19 months and if it's something we tell her not to do a couple times then we do time outs or smack her hand. she gets the message
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I agree with some of the other answers..I think redirection and time outs work best..just remember that discipline is to teach.. when you hit your child..that teaches your child to be aggressive and they will respond with aggression..it does not teach them to handle their emotions.
    Lady_Rhia

Answer by Lady_Rhia at 12:41 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I think he's still a bit too young to completely understand. He'e not even two yet' just continue with your firm no's and let him know how serious you are. And when he's two you can start with time out and explaining to him why the things he did were wrong.And when he's three then you tell him that the corner is not just to sit there because he's been bad, but to think about what he did and try to really understand why it was wrong. gl :)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• When you tell him "No" and he laughs at you, Swat his bottom! Use a switch, if at all possible. I would get the book, "To Train Up a Child" by Michael and Debi Peal. www.nogreaterjoy.org It has worked with all five of my children!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 2:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• instead of saying "no" say " not okay!!" say it like you mean it. take the item away or remove him from the area. Do not smile or laugh if he goes back to do it again ...say it again " NOT OKAY !" do not pick him up or cuddle with him that is rewarding him and it is confusing. It might also help id you got down to his level. Do not pick him up to your eye level that againis rewarding him. Be firm and consistent. after a while he will get the clue. Make sure you also use facial expressions so he knows that you are not happy with what ever he is doing.

it will not happen over night but it will happen stay strong stay consistent, never falter good luck

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• At this age you are just laying the foundation for future behavior. You need to continue to set firm limits and be constant. At first you won't notice a chance in his behavior, but over time you should see a gradual change. The truth is that it takes years before the maturity is there and the fruits of your labor appear.

When he goes to hit you take his hand into yours and firmly tell him, No hitting. (always keep your words simple short and sweet) If if contines walk away from him or set him in a playyard for a few minutes. Don't expect much at first. You need to do this everytime even if your doing it for a year.

I have 5 children and I learned this the hard way. I noticed that no matter what you do the first 3 yrs of your child's life is challenging, but if you follow what I did above you will have well behaved children after age 3 -4 . I learned with my first doing nothing means problems continue way past that.
    Anonymous