how to get dog to stop yapping

please help my dog just started this yapping crap all day long its making me crazyyyyy

mamajmm81

Asked by mamajmm81 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pets

• Grab her mouth until she whines and say don't bark. But be persistent. Do it every time.
    Anonymous

• in extreme cases, you can have the vocal cords clipped. I have always thought it was a little cruel to do that, but some people have it done to yappers as a last resort.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:05 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Sorry but that is ridiculous. Dogs can be trained not to bark. If someone does that it's because they are too lazy to train their pet and shouldn't have one. I had a very stubborn cocker and she learned eventually.
    Anonymous

• Muzzle it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Get a spray bottle or water gun and squirt the dog when it barks. If the barking persists you might look at citronella anti bark collers. They work really well. It will not stop the barking completely but it will help control it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• fill a pop can with pennies and when the dog barks throw the can at the dog (not hitting the dog but close enough that the sound scares the dog)
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 10:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Before we result to drastic measures, what is the cause of his barking?

Boredom?

Lack of exercise?

From my experience, most dogs engage in destructive behaviors because they are not getting enough hard exercise. I know that if mine doesn't get her 5-mile run, she becomes quite vocal.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• What type of dog is it? Some dogs bark because of their breed. Like huskies and basset hounds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 AM on Apr. 8, 2010