Is it normal for my 2 year old child to lick everything and when she is mad to byte herself

i have a two year old girl that just started licking everything she can get her hands on her toys chairs and even the cat. she also started biting herself when she gets mad or doesn't get her way. are these two things normal.

mylilavers

Asked by mylilavers at 10:58 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol sometimes "normal" can only be defined by the child in question. if she's developing on schedule, then i would just call it a phase. the less attention you give the habit, the more likely she will be to stop the behavior. however i feel obligated to point out that self mutilation (biting herself) coupled with delayed communication skills is a classic early sign of autism.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:03 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Gorss, but I think the licking is normal. They are curious, and they are testing out the world, learning by touching, including cat hair on the tongue. My niece used to lick windows and the tv screen all the time. My kids went through licking phases too. Babies chew things when they are teething, and I guess some toddlers lick stuff. I just kept telling my kids about germs and how getting germy things on your tongue and in your body can make you sick and that it's rude to lick things that don't belong to them. Sounds linsane to have to say it out loud, but that's how I handled it.

Biting is something my 4 yr old has started doing. If she does something that gets her a time out, she bites her arm or her knee. I've been talking to her about it and how biting isn't the right way to deal with her anger, but I'm at a loss on that one really.
    Anonymous

• Believe it or not they use their tongue to figure out the texture of things.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:04 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• My son is a year old and tasted EVERYTHING .. He's even licked the wall, the coffee table, and a number of other things. He started this a little before his first birthday. I have found it to be normal. Not just from experiencing it with my son, but from what others have told me.

Children do self harm or harm others when they're mad. It's usually little things though. For example, children hit others, they bang their head, head butt things, bite themselves, etc. However, it is very important that you discourage it. Don't comfort her when she hurts herself, because that is what she's looking for. Simply say "That's why you don't bite yourself." and continue on with the punishment or whatever it was you were reprimanding her for.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• thank you guys so much this really helps me out at first i was scared that there might be something wrong with her but i see it now that its a normal two year old thing. the dr says she is growing just find and that she is a vary smart girl that i would have to wry about in learnign disorders or anything like that. but i guess i will have to see when she get older
    mylilavers

Answer by mylilavers at 11:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. My middle child did that while my oldest never did. Just discourage it now cause if you don't OH my your in for a world of trouble.LOL Trust me I know!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Dont give a reaction when they bite themselves. Thell realize they are only hurting themselves & get over it.

Licking- is normal! :)
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My kids bite themselves and each other. I don't think its "normal", but mine do it. Ask your pediatrician if it concerns you.
    bAdAssmAmA82

Answer by bAdAssmAmA82 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i'd just run it by my dr if i were you, i do childcare for a 4 yr old who now has a calous(sp?) on his hand from biting himself so much. He bites his hand and raises the other one to hit whoever he is mad at. It's scary if you ask me but I've been watching him for 1.5 yrs and he's always done it. I don't think it was ever discouraged. They thought it was a good alternative to biting his brother.
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 6:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• likcking certain things might be normal. I mean Iv'e seen some toddlers do that. But I can say I never saw one biting herself.before. you might want to check that one out with your pediatrician.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2010