Has anyone used a dutch oven?

I want to make "no-knead bread" but need a dutch oven. The cheapest I can find is $40, so I want to make sure it's something I'll use. Anyone have one and use it a lot?

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 11:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have a cast iron dutch oven. I LOVE it, especially for cooking over a fire. I don't have a regular "large pot" dutch oven, but I know if I did I'd use it a LOT - I make a lot of applesauce, jams, soups, etc.
    Anonymous

• You don't really need to buy a dutch oven. Just use a cast iron, ceramic, Pyrex, stainless steel or enamel pot. Any of those would do for baking your bread.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• The recipe says it has to be covered, for the steam effect.... Have you made no-knead bread before? Does it work if it's not covered?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Oh - if you have something else that would work to bake it in, but don't have a lid - cover it with a good layer of foil - it works the same as a lid.
    Anonymous

• My mother in law uses hers ALL the time. You can make stew in it, pot roast, shepherd's pie, pork chops, really anything at all.

Check the house wares at Marshall's or Home Goods. Sometimes they have them for cheap there.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:35 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I have a cast iron dutch oven and I use it a lot, usually when we're camping. I also make a lot of meals in the oven that call for a dutch oven that I make with a good, oven safe pot with a well fitting lid (my dutch oven isn't big enough for some of the recipes I make that way).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I've had both a pyrex and cast iron dutch oven. Used my pyrex one all the time. Any large enough pot with a lid that is oven proof should work for this though. I agree, check Marhshall's, Home Goods, also T.J. Maxx or Ross if you have them near you.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:35 PM on Mar. 26, 2010