Do you really think you should wake up a newborn to eat?

Shouldn't they wake up when they're hungry? My doc said to wake him up every 2 hours to feed. But he will only eat for about 10 seconds and fall asleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• every 3-4 hours is how we operated, but we usually just fed on demand & my kids never slept longer than 3-4 hours when they were newborns anyway.
    Anonymous

• hell no! unless your baby has gone an unusual amount of time (8 hrs give or take) without eating, isn't having regular wet / dirty diapers, seeming lethargic, or having trouble eating, LET HIM SLEEP!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 11:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• NO! unless your child has a medical condition that requires it or is not gaining weight properly, i would NEVER wake a sleeping baby!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:26 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I would wake him up during the day to eat if he had slept 4 hours. At night, no. Especially if they are younger than 3 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Depends... if they are jaundice or having trouble gaining weight, then yes. AND if they are less than a month old I don't think they should go more than 4-5 hours at night and 3-4 during the day.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• PEOPLE...a brand new baby should be woken upoduring the day if they have slept four hours at least. Damn, the baby needs the food to grow and develop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Newborns often lose weight in the first few days after birth. Until your newborn regains this "lost" weight — usually within 10 days to two weeks after birth — it's important to feed him at least every three hours round-the-clock. Premature babies need to be fed more often. Once your baby reaches his birth-weight, it's generally OK to wait for feedings until he wakes up. Your doctor knows what he/she is talking about.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If your baby has jaundice, or was medicated or has some other reason for being sleepy, then yes, I'd wake them. We had to wake my dd every hour and a half to nurse in order to avoid them putting her under bili lights and forcing formula on her in the hospital to get rid of jaundice.
    If the baby has a poor latch or weak suck, it can be hard work for them to eat, and they might be overly tired and lethargic and just shut down. In that case they need to be roused and fed more often, as well as needing help getting latched on properly. If they don't get fed, then they become that much more sleepy and lethargic and they could lose weight. In order to gain enough weight, and to establish the mother's milk supply, most babies need to nurse about 8-12 times every 24 hours.
    For an older baby who is
    Anonymous

• When you take your bundle of joy home from the hospital, it's inevitable you won't do everything right. We asked pediatricians for the five most common mistakes parents make with their newborns.
    Letting a newborn sleep through the night
    "One of the things that makes me cringe is when parents say to me, 'The first night home from the hospital she slept all the way through the night!' " says Dr. Lance Goodman, a pediatrician in Boca Raton, Florida. "I tell them, 'Oh no! She's not supposed to be doing that!' "
    Our pediatricians were unanimous: Parents need to wake up their babies to eat every four hours. With a few rare exceptions, newborns should not sleep through the night for the first two weeks of life.

Babies who go too long without eating could become dehydrated, Goodman says. Plus, sleeping eight hours at a stretch might be a sign of severe jaundice. "They might be so lethargic they can't arouse themselves to
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:36 PM on Mar. 25, 2010