Advice needed A/S/A/P

My granddaughter is a SI. She cuts herself. I thought she had stopped, since starting counseling. Sadly I was wrong. I'm at a loss.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Find out the reason why she's doing it. Not saying she does, but some teens do it for attention. I knew several of them in school. But Find out why she is doing it, and try talking to her about it yourself, I had to go through counseling when I was about 14, and I hated talking to them, cause I didnt know them. I always talked to my grandmother, cause she made it seem like she understood everything, and she was on my side. When everyone else said I was nothing but a rebellious teen (which I was, but she helped me out of that stage) Maybe she would feel more comfortable talking to you too. GL
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Thanks. We have talked about it when it started. She does it out of anger. She says it is the only thing that helps. I just so scared and worried. She doesn't want to tell her counselor because she is afraid she will be hospitalized. She signed a contract saying she would not do it again. And if she did she would have to go into the hospital.
    Anonymous

• Ideas for you I use to be a cutter. If she is really cutting out of anger here are some thing that may help.
    1 Mentor program
    2. Vacation away from problems no stress.
    3 Counseling you said she is already in though so A+
    4 Support groups they have them for both cutters and family members.
    5 Understand what cutting is what causes it and what it does do some research you can't truly help her unless you understand it.
    6 Remind her of better times in her life take her places she loved do things she loved ex.
    7 Let her know you love her and care
    8 Have a special dedicated to her and what she wants.
    9 Support her
    10 Never leave her feeling abondand or that she can't count on you.
    GOOD LUCK I hope it all works out.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:06 AM on Mar. 26, 2010