Should I take my children 2 And 7 to see their father in prison who has not requested to see them?

he has been in prison for almost two years and has not requested to see them at all

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• That is entirely up to you. If it was me, I wouldn't put my kids through it.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• If it were me, no I would not. Taking such young children to see their father behind bars, is not something I would want to put them through. Sounds like an emotionally traumatic thing to me.
    Anonymous

• If he doesn't even care to see them why drag them through the prison system.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:46 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I think the whole experience of that would be too scary for kids that young. So No.. I wouldn't do it. I told my ex all the time that I would NEVER take my kids to see him in prison because he was always breaking the law. Now.. if my husband now was to kill the man (his dad) that molested my kids... yeah I'd take them to see him.. because to me.. thats different, so really. what i'm saying is.. its up to you, but i DO think it will scare them
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 11:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't unless they have asked about him, or if he is begging to see them.
    Anonymous

• I think they are too young to see him in prison. But more importantly you need to talk to him first and see how he feels about it. He may be embarrassed and saddened by the fact that he is there. If anyone has a choice in this matter, it should be him. He's either not requested out of shame or not requested because he doesn't care about the kids. Find out what his reasoning is.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:50 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• There are a million reasons why you shouldn't and I can't think of a single reason why you should. I was once in the same shoes and I said no. Here is why you shouldn't. 1) Chances are neither of your children will even know who he is. If your older child does it is going to open a great big giant can of words. 2) It is going to confuse and scare your children. They are too young to go through that. 3) If you do be prepared for a lot of questions because there will be tons especially from your older child. 4) If he didn't ask for 2 years he doesn't care too much anyway so it isn't like hes over there dying from sorrow to see the kids and chances are when he gets out he won't stick around and be a good dad then either. 5) Why have kids that don't really notice hes gone start missing him now? ..... I would strongly suggest you don't do it. If you are considering go speak to a child counselor and see what their suggestion
    Anonymous

• HE DOESNT CARE.
    sorry hun but thats the sad truth.
    luckily, your kids have you. and that's all they need.
    StrongYoungMom

Answer by StrongYoungMom at 12:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• have you been to a prison? IMO it's no place for children, no matter what the circumstances
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:08 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I worked at a men's prison. I've heard their sides of their stories. Some of them are too embarrassed for what they have done and feel their kids do not need to see them like that. Ya know? But I would ask him before I just surprise him. It's always emotionally straining on someone to be in prison.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2010