Did you choose a Mid-wife or a doctor??

My very first apt with my mid-wife will be april 15th, and its just a test run, to see if I like it/ well her. I had the option to stick with one ( my mid-wife) or to rotate with all doctors, I am going to try and see if I like my mid-wife (which im thinking i will like) what did you choose? is there anything i should know before committing?

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 11:47 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I opted for a physician, mostly because I wanted someone who could handle complications. As it turned out, I needed a c-section and my doctor was there ready to perform the surgery.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I had a midwife both times, buth they were different practices and different hospitals.
    The first one was a practice with a midwife and 2 drs, and even though I liked her, she was very much under the thumb of the OBs and she ended up not being there for the delivery because one of the Obs was the on-call.
    The second time, I went to a practice of 2 midwives and they were fantastic, totally supportive of my desire for a natural vaginal birth with no meds, and they didn't pressure me to be induced or anything, even though I was 2 weeks past my due date.
    Talk with her and see how she seems to fit in your plan for a perfect birth. Find out as much as you can about the hospital too, and what their standard procedures are. If she isn't one who will be with you through the whole labor and delivery, and if she leaves you with nurses who are used to pushing interventions on women, then she may as well be an OB.
    Anonymous

• I had a midwife. They had a doctor that looked at everyone's medical file weekly and that handled all complications. If you needed a C-section the midwife would go with you to the operating room so you would have someone who you were familar with with you.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I picked a midwife and I LOVED every minute of my choice!

I would never pick an OBGYN over a midwife unless I became high risk for some reason.

I loved how respectful she was of my decisions and how she answered my questions. She didn't push medical intervention on me and my birthing experience was amazing!

I would recommend a midwife anyday.

They CAN handle emergencies contrary to popular belief, are pregnancy specialist and are actually trained in many things that OBGYNs are such as breech birth.
    Anonymous

• This is anon 11:56 again
    I don't mean to say that all OBs are bad or something, there are definitely women who need more care and more interventions because of risk factors, but I think that midwives are less likely to do uneccessary procedures because their training is to help a woman through a natural process of birth and refer to an OB if there is a problem. OBs on the other hand are trained to deal with complications, and sometimes look for them when they don't exsist.
    Anonymous

• Women who have midwives has better outcomes, less chance of ending up with a c-section, less chance of medical intervention and a better chance of the birthing experience they desire.

Stastics show women with midwives have a lower risk of epis, tearing, prolonged labor, IVs, induced labor and complications from birth.

In other countries midwives deliver 70% of the babies because OBGYNs only handle high risk pregnancies. 30% of those babies are born at home and these countries have better infant mortality rates than we do. Less mother's die in child birth and less mother's have severe issues resulting in the loss of the uterus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I had a doctor and loved her
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• For my first I had a nurse-midwife. She was alright... she didn't practice like I wanted her to, or support me like I wanted her to.

This time I'm seeing a certified professional midwife who does homebirths and I REALLY love the difference.

Nurse midwives often practice much like doctors, but they do usually spend more time with their patients and try to build a more intimate relationship. If you're wanting a natural birth, a nurse-midwife is a better choice than an OB, unless you have a complication (in which case the midwife will transfer your care anyway).

Good luck! Congrats!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I started with an OB and changed to a midwifery practice and stayed there for my deliveries.

You can create a list of questions for any provider and ask them in an interview (I encourage moms to meet with several to find the best fit).
    Are you already familiar with your preferences?
    Do you have hopes for the style of maternity care?
    Midwives and OBs can provide very different maternity care.
    If you are healthy, a midwife will usually help you to have a safer and happier outcome.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• If you are really looking for a difference in care, find out how much the midwife is required to do what the doctors tell them. Traditionally, a midwife is a stand-alone provider. Midwives who work in a hospital setting, or a "birth center" attached to a hospital, usually are required to practice like a doctor. This means that they are on-call like a doctor, and they are essentially working for a doctor. They must transfer care for things that a midwife should be allowed to handle on her own. If you choose to seek a midwife in a stand-alone birth center or a homebirth, they have much more freedom in their practice then a hospital midwife.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:46 AM on Mar. 26, 2010