I'm going to be breastfeeding until she's 10

My 12 month old nurses frequently, following no particular schedule. She begs to nurse when she's happy, sad, cranky, upset...etc. She sleeps with me and still wakes up once in the night to feed. I'm a full-time student, part-time employed. The breastfeeding experience was a great one, but I feel like its time to end. How do I wean her when there's not even a set schedule she's on? I'm really nervous about this.

StrongYoungMom

Asked by StrongYoungMom at 11:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter LOVED nursing and I felt like you. We weaned at 22 months, but by that time it was morning and night only. Weaning all at once might be harder for you because your body and hormones and boobs will freak out. I started by putting strict limits. In the morning, before nap and at bedtime only. Then I cut out the nap feeding which meant I had to do stroller naps for a while because she was used to nursing to sleep. Finally I offered a bottle to replace morning and night, but this was over several months. If you can hang in there, I recommend doing it gradually because I didn't even get engorged and it was not traumatic for either of us.
    mandelion8

Answer by mandelion8 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You know, the AAP recommend until at least 2. And she will wean herself on her own in due time. If that helps any.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I know that's the reccomendation but I FEEL like its time to end. One year of breastmilk was a very good start for her, and I'm done now.
    StrongYoungMom

Answer by StrongYoungMom at 12:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You could skip a feeding and offer a cup or bottle of milk instead. Then start by cutting the length of time your child is actually on the breast. If she usually nurses for five minutes, try three. Follow the shorter feeding with a healthy snack that she likes - she should be eating solid foods (baby food) by now. You can also try postponing feedings. If she asks for the breast, say you'll feed her later and distract her with a game or reading a book to her. Instead of nursing in the early evening, you could tell her that you need to wait until bedtime. Try different things until you find something that works for you both.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• you could just say "no more!" you'll hate yourself for a few days, maybe 2 wks, but that's probably the quickest way to do it lol! don't worry; she'll live long enough to throw a much bigger tantrum as a 16 yr old when you "ruin her life" again... for the millionth time

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I think 12 months is plenty. Id like to see somene from the AAP have a two year old with a kid attached to them!

When she wants to nurse, give her a cup. I wouldnt cut her off completely. Maybe nurse in the am & before bed. But push the cup during the day. She may throw a tantrum for a few days- but you dont wanna be one of the moms on oprah who are still nursing their 5 yr olds!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Good for you for standing up for what is best for YOU too! Just because you're a mother doesn't mean you should ignore your own needs. I can't help you one the wean thing because I didn't breastfeed that long. Maybe you could introduce her to other things that can help her cope or soothe. You have to find out what those things are first.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Just stop. Put her in her own bed and be done with it. Sure she will cry for a while, but she will live. That's just a very sad situation for anyone. I feel very sorry for you and that kid. Ugh. I would never do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Wow, ANON 12:07...what the heck got up your butt?

And to all posters, I was just letting her know, not forcing or pushing. And she answered me back just as nicely.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• If you want to wean her, or just cut out a few nursings each day, you can try giving a cup of water or a snack when she asks to nurse, or a snuggle on the couch, or a story. I know the feeling of being touched out and not knowing how to avoid a tantrum without nursing and keep your sanity. I stopped offering and only nursed my dd if she asked when she was about 18 months. It just got uncomfortable because getting molars had changed the way she latched on. Sometimes a snuggle or a sippy cup of water saved me. In the mornings, she'd come to our bed and want milk, but some days, I was able to get up & lay on the couch, leaving her to snuggle with daddy instead. You might have to get creative, but think of some "rules" for nursing, like let her know it's only time to nurse when it's light out, or only before bed time, etc. If you spend time doing something fun instead, she might decide she doesn't need to nurse anymore.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2010