Why isnt the public involved in bill passing?

Couldnt they do like a cencus type deal, or a voting poll like what they do for presidental elections? We should be more involved

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's a damn good question OP. I wonder that too. If it involves OUR taxes we should have a say in it.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I completely agree. If this was really a democracy, we should have a vote in such serious issues like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Expensive and impractical. Jokes about the reps not reading the bills aside, How would you transmit the text of every bill that's voted on to every person in the country, along with enough neutral material to explain what it all means, and make a way for them to stop their daily lives frequently enough to have a voting day?

One of the many reasons California's government and legal system are so bloated and leaking money by the riverfull is that everything goes on the ballot.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:03 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• If this was really a democracy

It's not a democracy - it's a republic.
    NotPanicking

• OP again- they cant say "well there would be too many people voting who didnt know exactly what they were voting for". I am going to prevent that comment by saying that A- we vote for a president every four years and never know exactly what we are gong to get and B- the people who did vote for this didnt even know what they were voting for, so why not maybe let some people in who actually care about the end result
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• it's no longer a republic either! it's socialist and everyone with half a brain knows it, and those without half a brain have allowed it to happen.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Do you realize that there are over 10,000 bills introduced in congress every year? We elect a president once every 4 years and spend at least a year discussing the assorted merits and negatives of each candidate. When are we going to consider 10,000 bills?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Because the progressives won! They only need our $$$ to make all their dreams come true.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Not panicking- How is it impractical? We have community meetings about crime, we have community get togethers for our children because its important to us, we have community fundraisers. If this is something that everyone is concerned about then it can be done. What does it matter if it will cost a tad more, us citizens are paying for it in the end. I think if I am going to pay, I would like to atleast get to put my 2 cents in! we get text across the country for hundreds of other things. We use internet access for millions of other things. We have technology in this world today, its time we started to use it. If I can pay a bill from my living room that is going to california once a month, then I could sign on and read something and vote once in a while as needed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• bestmommye whatever your name is. Whatever you said makes no sense. That means that the people who have atleast half a brain, dont have half a brain and allowed it to happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2010