Dentist question

Anyone put off taking your kids to the dentist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yep. I need to schedule, but, i keep pushing it out of my mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• my kids first dentist appointment was when i need to get the papers filled out by a dentist for head start registration. Since then i've kept every appointment (every 6 months) because my middle child has inherited the bad teeth of the family. The only doctor my kids havent seen yet is the eye doctor....which will be happening soon at least for my 7 and 5 year old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I did but I finally got around to it. They all went 2 weeks ago. They loved looking at the xrays of thier mouth.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 12:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• just curious, how long did you put it off?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• My DD is almost 4 and I haven't taken her yet. I know I need to but everywhere I've called has appts like 6mths away! UGH!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 12:38 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i have spoken with 2 dentists. one (he was older) said 5 or 6 is fine for the first dental appointment. to go sooner would really be to get your child comfortable with the dentist and the office. another dentist said you can start bringing them in as soon as they have a few teeth, they can tell if they will need braces when they are older.
    my oldest is 6, we will take him and his brother (will be 5) this summer.
    we are most likely going to go to a biological dentist.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• never miss an appt! he has been going since he was 3 1/2 and he is almost 6 now
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• nope, never! My son's 1st appt was at 8 mos, daughters at 12mos. I knew that you're supposed to get when they have 1 tooth.... and just went from there. It's a pain and a bother but so is the thought and expense of cavities and dental drama
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I haven't taken my youngest yet (he's 3 1/2). My oldest does not go on a regular basis because we don't have dental insurance. So if I can afford to go we go, if not, we don't. That's just the way it is.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Lissa - do you have regular health insurance? Many plans have basic dental benefits, particularly for kids. My son isn't on our dental because the only dentists that accepts it in our area only sees patients over age 5 anyway. He does have dental coverage through our health insurance which includes a local pediatric dentist. It costs us $10 for a check-up twice a year which is a real bargain, especially considering they give him a new toothbrush plus floss, paste, and miscellaneous goodies too.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2010