When do I need to start brushing his teeth?

My 7 1/2 month old just recently cut his 2 bottom teeth. They are both visible and out of the gum, but not all the way in yet. Am I supposed to wait until they are fully out before I start brushing them or what? He is EBF besides solids if you need to know that for any reason. Also, if I do need to start brushing them, what do I use as far as toothbrush and toothpaste go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As soon as teeth come through, it's a good habit to get him into. There are all kinds of toddler and baby tooth brushes, either that fit over your finger, or that have little flat rubbery nubs on them to massage the gums, or that just have small wide heads of bristles. Try different ones, and see what he likes best. You can go without toothpaste because until they can spit it all out, the flouride is no good for them, or you can get the baby oragel tooth & gum cleanser that has a fruit flavor. Starting now he might enjoy having his teeth brushed, but if you wait til he is older and has all his teeth, he;ll probably fight you on it, and will likely have decay by then.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Now. they make little finger toothbrushes and paste for babies. You could have aleady begun doing his gums to get him used to it. And to massage his gums for teething.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You start as soon as they pop up, the toothbrushes come with the toothpaste and it's just this thing you put on your finger and brush their teeth with.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• At first, just wet a piece of gauze or a clean washcloth and wipe his teeth. It is important to get rid of the plaque that can cause tooth decay. Once his back molars start coming in, you should try using a small toothbrush with just two or three rows of very soft bristles and gently brush his teeth at least once a day. There are pediatric toothpastes available that are safe to use (at about 18 months)- try Orajel Toddler Toothpaste.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• what age should they start going to the dentist?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Q. When should my child first see a dentist?

"First visit by first birthday" sums it up. Your child should visit a pediatric dentist when the first tooth comes in, usually between 6 and 12 months of age. This visit will establish a dental home for your child. Early examination and preventive care will protect your child’s smile now and in the future.

From the AAPD website.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Q. When should I start cleaning my baby’s teeth?

The sooner the better! Starting at birth, clean your child’s gums with a soft infant toothbrush or cloth and water. As soon as the teeth begin to appear, start brushing twice daily using fluoridated toothpaste and a soft, age-appropriate sized toothbrush. Use a "smear" of toothpaste to brush the teeth of a child less than 2 years of age. For the 2-5 year old, dispense a "pea-size" amount of toothpaste and perform or assist your child’s toothbrushing. Remember that young children do not have the ability to brush their teeth effectively.

From the AAPD website.
    BradenIsMySon

• I started before the first teeth came in, to get my kids into the routine from the start. So I vote for now, too.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• NOW. Every morning and every night.
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 8:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• both my girls I started brushing there teeth (or should I say gums?) at about 1-2 months old. To get them use to it also when it comes to teething it feels good on their gums. Babies get bad breath too lol. My DH would play with the kids when they were babies he would tell me (if I didn't or forgot to brush them that day) he would tell me that their breath stunk lol. And it did like rotten formula lol so after that I stated making sure I brushed them every morning and every night. I bought the tooth brush for babies. It is rubber you put it on your finger and it comes with toothpaste
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2010