doctors?

When do they start to check you down there normally to see where you are at??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Towards the middle/end of the third trimester
    tasase

Answer by tasase at 12:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• They should only do it if you are having issues or are in active labor. There is no reason for it and it can introduce haRMFUL BACTERIA INTO THE CERVIX AND UTERUS....oops caplock. LOL It doesn't help because you could be a 1 or even 3 for weeks. So, no reason too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• As far as dialation.. My OB wouldn't check (unless there was a need to .. Like bleeding or something of that nature) until I was at or passed my due date.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Mine wasnt going to start checking untill 38 weeks but when I told him I delivered at exactly 38 weeks with my first hes going to start checking me at 37 weeks. i dont see why people are so against doctors checking its not like they dont ware gloves or anything and when they say that you can be dialated at a 2 for weeks you can also be dialated at a 2 like I was and then go into labor the next day. So it varys apon each person and thats why doctors check. Not a big deal to me but thats just me. This is my second doctor and both have said they would start checking at 38 weeks so I would go with that. You can always ask your doctor too.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Oh and FYI my doctor also informed me that by checking me vigurously at 37 weeks meaning often that this will speed things up cause I guess when they check you it messes with your uterus or somthing. Im not exactly sure but I have been told this befor just dont know exactly how it works. I wouldnt be worried If I went into labor at 37 or 38 weeks again cause my son almost weighed 8 lbs at only 38 weeks along so thats not bad but of course thats just my babys.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I believe my doctor started checking me at 37 weeks.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:31 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• With my both my babies, I had no checks prior to labor, and with my second, none during labor at all. They both still arrived on their birthdays.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• for me it was 38 weeks and she actully stripped my membranes twice and it still didnt help speed things up. each person is different but i think the standard is at 37 to 38 weeks.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:16 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• To LANDENSMOMMYlmk: Due dates are estimates only. That is why they give you a 2 week before and after possiblity. So, while 38 weeks was your 40. Someone elses 38 weeks is still a month early....technically a preemie and can have complications. So, it's not always good to "speed things up". Also, just because you dialated a 39 weeks with one and went into labor. Some people don't dialate until after labor starts or stay dialated for weeks. With your next pregnancy if you are dialated at 38 weeks and he checks...it doesn't mean you will have your baby the next day. And gloves or not...it can introduce foriegn things into the area.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• you can always refuse. there's really no point. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2010