What are some really cheep meals to make for dinner?

Were cutting down on our budget and Im needing some really good ideas on cheap meals. Also if you can think of some cheap lunch meals or things to snack on for a 3 yr old that are farely cheap that would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• For cheap dinners, it's really very simple, cut out or egreatly reduce the amount of meat you use for meals. Instead of a whole chicken breast per person, use one chicken breast & mix it with rice & vegetables to fill out the meal. Make spaghetti minus the meatballs. Use eggplant to make your lasagna. Use lots of potatoes, onions & other veggies to mix with a bit of sausage or kielbasa for a one pot meal. Make lots of soups or stews without meat or with half or less meat than you would usually use, etc.

Snacks for a 3 y/o - generic cheerios, whole grain crackers with cheese, fresh cut bite-sized veggies (steamed to make them softer if needed), fresh fruit cut into bite-sized pieces or canned fruit (no sugar added!), yogurt (plain & add your own fruit or toppings), etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• When my budget is tight, I've found casseroles are a great way to go, you need less meat per person, and I agree, I cook the spaghetti sauce with meat in it, instead of making meatballs, because you can use a lot less meat. Also, make breakfast for dinner, pancakes, french toast, etc., are cheap and everyone loves them. Here are some of my favorites, if you want any recipes message me, and I'll send them to you:

Chicken Divan with white rice
    Broccoli Stuffing Bake (I put leftover chicken in this)
    Hash brown casserole with polska kielbasa or ham in it
    Tuna Casserole
    Chicken Enchilada Casserole (or beef with chuck roast)
    Navy Bean Soup...cheap delicious and nutritious
    Green Chili Cheese Casserole...sort of like a quiche, but almost breadlike
    Mexican Bean Casserole- super quick and easy
    Chili with Beans

For cheap lunches, pb & j egg salad, soup & sandwich. And bake your own cookies, snickerdoodles are very cheap to
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I've got 2 good, cheap, easy recipes for you that we make all the time.

1st- stroganoff. Take 1 lb ground beef, brown in skillet, drain. Add 2 cans concentrated cream of mushroom soup and 1 small container sour cream, stir together with salt and pepper to taste, and heat through. Meanwhile boil 1 bag bowtie pasta, drain, return to pot. Dump beef/soup mixture into pot and stir together well. This makes a fair amount, it feeds my family (me, fiance-- a big eater-- and child) with leftovers.

2nd- baked beans. Dice 1 sweet onion. Put 2 tbsp butter in a skillet, melt. Add onion, saute until brown. Dump 2 cans pork and beans (get the ones in molasses, not tomato sauce) into skillet. Add 4 hot dogs, sliced. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and a generous squirt of mustard. Stir together. Dump it all into a casserole and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. This feeds us all with leftovers too.
    coffee.crisp

Answer by coffee.crisp at 1:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Meals using dried beans, lentils, brown rice, etc. are inexpensive and filling.

Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes. I also have a huge list of bagged lunch ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2010