how do i console my 4yo dd when her puppy ran away?

my husband was out looking for our puppy for hours with no luck. she finally realized her dog was missing when she noticed she wasn't around anymore. i explained to her that she ran off, probably to play with some other dogs in the neighborhood & that we're going to keep looking for her & we're checking the animal shelter to see if she's there in the morning. she's been crying non-stop like her heart has been broken into a thousand pieces. i've never seen her cry like that before. what can i say or do to console her? what do i tell her if we can't find her puppy at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We had a puppy stolen out of our back yard. I told my daughter that she ran to play with the other dogs in the neighborhood. She asked " how will i know that she is okay" i told her that if we don't find her a family probally saw her in the street and thought that she didn't have a home so they took her in and gave her a warm place to stay. That seemed to settle her. And sure enough 3 months after losing our puppy we were walking in the neighborhood and 7 blocks from our house my daughter spotted our dog in someones yard. She was a huskey with blues eyes and a 3 leaf clover on her forehead (easy to spot). So we knocked on the door and they said that they found her, didn't know she had a home and wanted to take care of her. They asked my daughter if she wanted her back and she said " No this is her home and i miss her but she loves you thankyou for taking care os her"
    rockermom23

Answer by rockermom23 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• The only thing I can think of is to tell her maybe the puppy missed its momma and went to look for her. Maybe it will come back, I had one that ran off 2 days after we got him and he was gone for a day and a half then he just came back on his own even though we had been looking non stop, good luck and I hope it comes back!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• When we moved into our home 1 1/2 years ago my dd was 4, our cat Ringo (HER cat) ran away) She was very sad about it, but I just told her that he had run away and we looked for him for a long time. He never came back. She still talks about how she misses him.
    I comforted her when it happened and still do whenever she talks about it. We discuss that he maybe found a new home or something and yes we miss him it's very sad that he ran away.
    We had gotten her that cat when she was 18 months old, so he really was her cat and he was a lot more tolerant of kids than the other cats.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 11:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Make sure you call the animal shelters and perhaps even animal control to see if she was picked-up. If you get the puppy back, I would immediately go get her micro-chipped.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2010