Does this mean...

I'm a bad Christian? K my Grandma called to rip me, because she just found out I was in counseling. She says "God and jesus will take all your problems if you just give them to them. You should not be in counseling it is unchristian." Is she nuts come on really?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 8:05 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The way I see it, God gave us the gifts of logic and reasoning so that we'd use them. If your body is sick, you go to a medical doctor. If your heart/mind/emotion is sick, you go to a doctor who helps heal that.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Her take on this is very naive. We all need human help as well as Gods help. She's probably embarrassed that someone in her family needs extra help. In that generation seeking outside help is a sign if weakness. They think that everything should be kept quiet behind closed doors and in the family. Which why they had a lot of child and spousal abuse that went unpunished in their generation.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:12 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• There's nothing wrong with getting counseling if you need it.
    Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 8:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• The sad thing is I tried for family help first they said drop it let it go sweep it under the rug. They wont talk or give advise, my dh does, but I hate putting it all on him. So I went and got help.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i wouldve told my grandma..."sorry, but i won't somebody not only to listen but to speak back"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• At one point Therapists (although they weren't called that then) fell in to the same class as "mystics" and were seen as evil. Depending on your grandmothers age, she may still be under this assumption.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:44 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• See what I mean. That's help you get none. You"re to keep it to yourself. My husband is beating me. Well it's your fault. That's what we got from that generation just as an example. We are to reach out to others and we are to help each other. It's in the Gospel. So you need outside help get it your not doing any good for family if you're in need. God bless and prayers.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• See...I just got a similar lecture regarding my daughter. She is in counseling for a physical trauma that I would rather not disclose. The pastor of my church believes that I am derelict in my religious parental duties because it is with a trained secular counselor, one trained in this specific type of trauma. He believes that the counseling should be done by a member of the church, who is not trained, but has been hurt similarly. I am of the belief that being hurt similarly does not at all equal being skilled to counsel in this regard, although the would be able to relate, it does not equate being skilled to help beyond the hurt professionally. We had quite the fall out and he has also labeled my actions as 'unchristian.' Little different as it is not my grandma hurling the accusations, but what I did was to let him know this offended me...apologize for having become offended, and have started seeking a new church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• ....So absolutely no, I do not believe this makes you a bad Christian at all. I believe that it makes you a Christian wise enough to know that there is a part of her temple that needs care and is seeking that care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

She is 65 however recently "saved". Did not believe before her dh died about 7 yrs ago.

Anon with the dd with physical traume I feel you and I am sorry for her GOOD LUCK!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 26, 2010