Why has my 8 month old been sick every month of his life? He had pneumonia last month and I think he has it again.

He was also hospitalized with viral meningitis when he was 7 weeks old and he was really sick last month and no one believed there was anything wrong with him except a cold, well I made the pedi xray his lungs and she called me on the way home and said he had pneumonia but it was leaving his lungs from the antibiotics. Well he's been on Omnicef, which is the most powerful antibiotic for a week now and is getting worse and rasping. he has no fever, but he didn't have a fever when he had pneumonia either. I'm going to take him to Urgent Care to get an xray today but why is he so sick all the time? Has anyone else had an experience like this. I'm just scared that one day he'll get so sick that medicine won't be able to help him anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is an awful concern to have. A doctor who is willing to do some exploring as to why your little one keeps getting such serious illnesses would seem a good idea. At first I thought allergies could be going to bronchitis and then to pneumonia, but the viral meningitis doesn't seem to fit this conjecture.

Answer by Bmat at 8:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i would find a childrens hospital and take him there
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• He may have an immune deficiency; request a referral to an immunologist. Here's a link for more information: http://www.primaryimmune.org/

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Does anyone is your home smoke? Kids of smokers get sick more often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• he's obviously not breastfed that is one problem-- although at this stage he should have over come that---- be cautious about frequently xraying your child under age 5-- it puts him at great risk of cancers in his early life -- the other thing is this --if he's up to omnicef he's getting too many antibiotics which means that he'll have trouble fighting viral illnesses-- antibiotics kill your good flora -- your good flora is a a huge component of how your body fights off illness-- the chances are relatively good if you call and ask for the written reports from his CSF when he had meningitis-- ask what BACTERIA they grew-- 99% of the time it was a virus not a bacteria-- and the antibiotic course made the virus stronger
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:56 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• oh geeze......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• melrn...where in this post do you get that the baby isnt breastfed? How would you know?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Born full term? Smokers around or no? I personally would request a referral to a specialist to pinpoint why he keeps getting sick, either a pulmonologist (lung doctor since all these are respiratory illnesses) or immunologist like a pp said. There's a reason out there for his getting sick so much. Just keep asking until you get answers, and "I don't know" isn't one of them. And MELRN, not to be argumentative, but HOW do you know he isn't breastfed or hasn't been? I do agree, though on the antibiotic issue- too many too early means trouble with resistant bacteria later on in life, and that will cause more problems treating it than just him being sick frequently.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Has he been checked for cystic fibrosis. My cousin was 10 before finding out. Sick all the time pnemonia, colds, asthma.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I concur that not being breastfed could be a factor - can you get donor breast milk? It might help. Not bashing at all.

I personally was brought up in a home with very heavy smokers and I was never sick and still am never sick. My brother is never sick either. BUT my sister died of SIDS. So, some people do react negatively to smoking in the home... and some people have such strong immune systems they don't react to it or get over it once out of the smoking situation. IF you smoke - STOP. Obviously your son has some sort of underlying issue. Cystic fibrosis comes to my mind too. So does immune deficiency. So does asthma and allergies. If there are allergies, THESE can lead to repeated infections because the allergies get the immune system going, the sinus clogged, the lungs inflamed -- which make it easier for infection to set in. Also, check for regurgitation & aspiration with a swallow study. Specialists. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 26, 2010