What would you do if your dd said this?

I plan on taking a weekend trip to go visit my mom whom I haven't seen for 5 years either she is too busy to come over or I am too busy to go over there we live 10 hours away from eachother so we just talk on the phone anyway I plan to go visit her for Mother's Day (Just for the weekend) Anyway my 6 yr. old dd hear this and started crying she started to freak out and said she did not want me to go bc what if the plane crashes I told her well that is not going to happen and pray that it doesn't happen but if God wants mommy to come home to him that is just life we all die but mommy is going to be right back don't worry. She calmed down but she still wasn't too happy I don't know what I am going to do when that day comes to leaving...I will be right back.
Thanks ladies for listening...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kids interpret things different than we as addults do.She probally just needed to hear her mom tell her that everything will be o.k. & that it will go by fast, you'll be home on such & such day & you'll see her then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Is the airport close enough that you can take her there to see all the planes safely landing? Or look for some travel theme books for children at the library.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• i wouldve left all the God talk out of it. You don't know what IS going to happen so i wouldnt say thats its NOT going to happen.
    I would've just told my son to not worry about stuff like that and that i plan on being around for a long time.

I feel like saying to pray for something not to happen is kinda bad...what if it did happen? Then your child would grow up to hate God when she prayed to him for it not to happen.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• ooh... my kid said something similar... i wonder if one of her friends said something recently... with my son, he had just heard his best friend at schools dad died over seas...
    Anonymous

• I would tell her that God loves Mommy more than anyone on this earth, and whatever happens, God is in control. Whether he takes you to heaven, or leaves you here, it is for the best. There is nothing to worry about. God loves for us to pray, because He wants us to talk to Him all the time. We are His Children, and He loves to hear from us, so it is never a bad thing to pray and tell God what scares us and what we would like to have happen. God really does listen to us, because He loves us. You can also tell her that You don't believe anything bad will happen. You need to visit Grandma, and will back just a couple of days after you leave. You will call her when you get there, the day after, and when you start on your way home. That way, she hears your voice, and she knows you are safe!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 12:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I fly about once per month. My dd knows this and every time she makes some comment about how bad it is that I am leaving and that she wished I would stay. However, when I get to my destination and call her, she is too busy to take the call and will shout across the room "see you soon mom" into the phone. You dd is expressing her missing you. Stay calm. Let her know what day you will return and when you will call her. She will be fine once you are out the door.
    MommyId

Answer by MommyId at 8:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2010

• I think it's her age and the strong connection that she feels to you. My daughter just turned 7 and my husband and I went away last weekend. She cried every night at bedtime for the whole week leading up to our trip. She just kept crying how much she was going to miss me. My son who is almost 5 was saying to her "stop crying, it's just a couple of days". The kids were staying at my moms house and she said my daughter only cried for a minute the first night we were gone and after that she was just counting down the days until we got back (my son was fine the whole time).

I would just make it as low key as possible and not feed into her anxiety.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2010