I have a 13 year old that is out of control. He talks back, has used profanity a few times while talking back to me. He recently started taking money from the house, he has been suspended from school more than I can count. I have done everything from physical check ups to counseling you name it and nothing has worked. I just dont know what else to do. Is anyone else going through this? I just dont want him to end up on drugs, in jail or even worst dead!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• (hugs) I have a moms of teens group with alot of compassionate moms. if you want the link let me know ok?
    I am not sure what to say. Its hard when the baby we loved so well turns into a stranger, isnt it? (hugs) just because ....is it time to consider a 'scared straight" program? what about calling the local police sept, explaining your situation and asking if they can help, maybe have an officer talk to him about things he has seen happen to other kids? these are just guesses because as a teen-they feel invincable and like"thats not me, it wont hapopen to me"...immature brains and all that fun stuff. Just know you are def not alone mama. you arent, so many face these problems and feel just as helpless....lemme get the group link, cant hurt.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:09 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• here ya go mama. hang in there, it gets better...dont give up the fight, he needs you to be the parent. he really does.
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/1196
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• my parents used to threaten my brother with military school. and came really close to sending him. the funny thing is that he joined the Army 2 months after graduation. lol. Go figure......
    angel1332

Answer by angel1332 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• What has the counselors said? YOU NEED to take it to a higer level. I think you need to punishment for 3 months by taking his ipod bike etc. He needs to earn stuff back for good behavior. It needs to leave a PERMANENT IMPRESSION. Be FIRM and authorative. Don't give him any $ random drug test him too. sit it his class if he gets bad grades. Be consistent!!!!
    Anonymous

• Go to the juvenile courts and have him found unruly. They will put him on probation and he will have to answer to them and to the juvenile court system for his actions. It worked for one of my sons who tried to do his own thing at 16.
    Anonymous

• bootcamp
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• My son started acting up about 14. We took everything away from him. He would get better, we thought, and give it back. We had threaten him with millitary school. Then at 16 he starting smoking pot. It was the hardest thing we did, but we sent him to summer school at one. When he came home he didn't change that much so we sent him back. He was there his jr, and sr. year. He was mad and still is sometimes, but he says if we didn't he wouldn't be where he is now. He says he would send his son there if he is like him. He got into 6 colleges. If he had stayed home he wouldn't have gotten in to any. And would have been in trouble with the law I'm sure. I kept telling him I loved him, and went to see him as much as I could so he didn't think we forgot him. Military schools are good, but he can still screw up and get kicked out and lose your money, but we told him if that happend he was out of our home and on his own.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for all your comments. I actually took him to the police station thinking that that might shake him up a bit since he thinks he is untuchable. A juvinal probation officer talked to him for almost three hours, explained everything in details. He went thorough everything with him, from possible arrest to juvi and what will happen to him if he gets there and he explained it in a very colorful way if you know what I mean. At home his behavier was the same, but at school he was doing good until I got a call yesterday from the principal that he is being suspended for two days because he stole twenty dollars from one students locker (unlocked) and put it in some one elses. The officer that spoke with him is involeved and they are going to arrest him on tuesday when he goes back to school.. they will book him, take him to police station and then release him back to me and set a court date. I dont know what else to do.
    Arpihart

Answer by Arpihart at 1:57 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Continued***** I have tried scheduling him for a psych evaluation, but everywhere I call give me an appointment at least three months away. The school is kicking him out and sending him to the community day school.. and that all the "help" they are offering me. Both the disctict and the justice system!!!!
    Arpihart

Answer by Arpihart at 1:59 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have heard of a place in Oregon where they send these teens like your son out into the wilderness with adults of course, and they come back all changed... you might look into that. Not sure what the name of the place is. I will search and if I find it leave info for you.
    HannasMom657

Answer by HannasMom657 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2010