How can I get my husband to be that Christian he used to be?

Our marriage is falling apart and I feel it is due to him not having Christ at the center of his life and our marriage. I pray all the time about this what else can I do?

New2Florida

Asked by New2Florida at 10:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-12 Credits)
  • Those of you that say its not because of not having Christ in the center... must not really understand how that works. My marriage DID fall apart because if this. You become UNEQUALLY YOKED when one continues to serve God and the other stops doing so. You cannot change Him. He has choices that HE has to make on his own. I encourage you to just step back, hand this over to God & allow Him to work on your heart and life and continue to walk with Him. When Jesus was walking and called Peter to walk with him, Peter saw John and asked what about John and Jesus said what is it to you? YOU follow me!. You are responsible for you, God is responsible for you & he is responsible for your husband. Just place your trust in Him and lastly... Bless your husband no matter what, when you pray do not say God change my husband, that borders on witchcraft, say God bless {insert husband's name here} , bless his heart, his life, love cont.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Nothing. You married him knowing this... and now you want him to change? I think if you concentrate more on accepting him for who he is, you'd be happy. Does he tell you NOT to pray? I bet not.. so I'd suggest leaving him to his beliefs/practices or lack thereof. JMO!
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Can you identify when he started to change? If you can identify the event or events that precipitated the changes in him, and then address those events (by talking about them, discussing his/your feelings about them, etc.), then maybe you can help him to work through whatever is bothering him or whatever it was/is that caused him to be different. If you don't think you can do this on your own, maybe a seeing a Christian marriage counselor would help?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You can't. You need to be a loving wife despite his religious shortcomings. You are not supposed to teach him. He is supposed to be the spiritual head of his household. If he isn't HE will take the fall for it later. Leave him alone, walk YOUR walk. You will be accountable for other things.
    Just PUSH. Pray Until Something Happens. and FROG....fully rely on God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Don't listen to her. The bible says you can win him over with your chasteness.. Be holy and righteous, and in time, God will deal with him. I'm a living testimony of that...I'm going to go and get some scriptures for you and I'll send another post...Don't let ANYONE tell you that God can imporve your marriage...God hates divorce, and he doesn't want you to be miserable.
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I have a lot of ideas on advice running through my head to give to you but it keeps coming back to the one youre already doing and that is to continue to pray on it. The best advice you can get will come from God,he will show you the way. We all know we can't make someone be a better Christian,they have to accept it themselves. Sometimes by example, they will follow. Don't give up,and don't give up your faith that it will get better in time. Keep talking with your husband,keep the communication open.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• 1 corinthians 7; 1 corinthians 13; ephesians 5:22-33. You can't change your husband but God can...only God can...I can't stand it when people say, " you should have thought about that before you married" Good thing our heavenly father didn't say, "You should have thought about that before you decided to sin" Instead, he had compassion for us and sent His Son to die for our sins...You must be humble like Jesus. These versus should help you. I'll pray for your situation. I've been there, and I know how hard it is.
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I'm curios how does him deciding not to be Christian any more(from what I get from your title) make your marriage fall apart? If he is cheating now, being violent, or something like that I have advise. However if he is just not wanting to be Christian and you have a problem with that which is causing a problem in your marriage then that is another story. Religion should not come between you and the ones you love or your friends. My dh is atheist I am Christian and our beliefs never interfere with our relationship.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Anon 13 here. Everyone will stand before God and be judged on thier own. How can you force someone to believe in something? Simply live the life and walk the walk. God will not let you down. But DO NOT NAG!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• YOU don't. The Holy Spirit does. You just keep walking the walk yourself. God will take care of dh.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:36 AM on Mar. 26, 2010