How can I get the hard, crusty ring around the toilet out?

I already used toilet bowl cleaner and let it soak- its not coming of, even with scrubbing. i remember my mom used to put some sort of acid in the toilet to eat away at it, but i dont think we have any. girl, any ideas?

snoober_k

Asked by snoober_k at 10:25 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• wow I am stumped. I have never had something that wouldnt come out. is it borac acis she used? that was a popular cleaning supply back in the "day" but not pos on its uses and be careful. anything that is that harsh is dangerous to inhale and touch probably.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• bleach, let it soak and flush. Repeat several times, you might have to use a brush at the end.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Have you tried CLR? Calcium Lime Rust? It worked for me...in fact, I have a ring around mine...I'll be back..lol
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• The acid she used was probably muratic acid. It is very dangerous! You can go to a Home Depot and get a PUMICE STONE OR STICK. It will scrape the ring off. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:30 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I have the same problem! It's a hard water stain. All of ours sinks have the same problem with staining. I've tried everything and nothing works. Pumice stones and every cleaner you can imaging including bleach. I'll be keeping an eye on the answers in this thread maybe I'll find something that works.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 10:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Coke!! I saw it on how clean is your house.
    Anonymous

• A pumice stone definitely works. I used one for the first time a few months ago because the ring we had was getting really disturbing to me and no other cleaner would get rid of it. I bought the pumice stone, put on gloves and just scrubbed away. It takes a bit of elbow grease, but it took the ring away. The best part is that it doesn't scratch the toilet. They actually sell them in the toilet cleaner section at Wal-Mart.
    Anonymous

• Bleach bleach bleach.

And bleach some more.

Let it soak.

Bleach bleach bleach.
    I'm telling ya! BLEACH it!!!!!!!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Bleach "bleaches" the stain, it really doesn't remove it, and WON'T work on hard water. Go to walmart, and get "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. It's the only thing I've found that removes hard water, and trust me, it works! Unlike CLR, the fumes aren't as bad, and you don't have to wear gloves and make sure not to drip it on anything else.

When we lived in MT, we had well water, and it was so hard I had to clean the shower head weekly with "The Works" because it would stop up if I left it longer than that. Just let "The Works" soak for 30mins, come back, flush, and reapply, you shouldn't have to scrub, and if so, not much.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2010

• Pumice stone! If you can't find any in the cleaning section, go to the foot care section and get one. It takes some serious scrubbing, but it'll get out the stain without scratching the toilet. I've also heard just getting a plain red brick works as well, but i haven't tried it.
    SandraJo

Answer by SandraJo at 11:15 AM on Mar. 27, 2010