VBAC anyone?

With my first child I had to have an emergency c-section. It was horrible! This time I want to try for a VBAC. Has anyone had a successful VBAC and have any advice for me? Yes, I've researched and decided that this is what I really want! I haven't gone in for the first doctor's appt yet so I haven't asked him my questions, but is there anything I need to know from your personal experience? Am I going to have to go into labor on my own this time?

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 10:27 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• To increase your chances for success you can do a few things.
    Choose as natural a birth as possible, avoiding unnecessary interventions.
    This can be much easier when birthing away from the hospital environment.
    Using a Normal Birth Specialist will also improve your chances rather than hiring a surgeon to help you deliver non-surgically.
    Having great support is very important~ a doula or will-prepared team to help you get the birth you want is a great idea!
    Your mental preparation-- self-education and confidence are so so important, too!
    You can do this!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:45 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I'm going through the same thing,my last pregnancy was a c-section and I am going for a VBAC this time too. I really had a bad experience with the c-section, I'd rather not do it again. I'm a little worried and scared too but my doctor assures me it will be fine. Good Luck!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:34 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• you cannot be induced.

have you checked out ican international's website? you should be able to find a lot of other women there who have had a vbac, or planning one.

i think it's a good choice, usually much safer than repeat c-section =)

my biggest piece of advice would be to have a provider and a hospital that really is 100% supportive of your wishes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• In agreement with the PP...you cannot be induced. The use of pitocin to induce labor already comes with the risk of uterine rupture, and with previously having a C-Section, that puts you at an even greater risk.

In all honesty, you might find that it's pretty difficult to have a VBAC these days. Now, I FULLY support VBACS, but Doctors are choosing not to do them, and hospitals are BANNING them! It's insane! One of my dear friends had to have a section with her twins...one was breech so she couldn't deliver vaginally, and turning him was too much of a risk to the other baby. She wanted a VBAC with her last baby, after searching and searching for a doc that would do it, found out that ALL of our local hospitals have banned them. It was very discouraging to learn that our rights to the birth WE want are being taken away. I really do hope that your situation proves to be different and you get your VBAC! GL!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Thank you Anon10:43 - I checked it out. The hospital I'm going to allows VBAC's and all the hospitals in my area support it as well. I will look into it more :) Anyone else? I know there's women on here who've had VBAC's!! :)
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 11:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• you could also probably find some women in the natural birth groups here on CM =)
    Anonymous