School Clinic endorses abortion without parental notice?

When she signed a consent form, Jill figured it meant her 15 year old could go to the Ballard Teen Health Center located inside the high school for an earache, a sports physical, even birth control, but not for help terminating a pregnancy.
“She took a pregnancy test at school at the teen health center,” she said. “Nowhere in this paperwork does it mention abortion or facilitating abortion.”
Jill says her daughter, a pro-life advocate, was given a pass, put in a taxi and sent off to have an abortion during school hours all without her family knowing.

“We had no idea this was being facilitated on campus,” said Jill. “They just told her that if she concealed it from her family, that it would be free of charge and no financial responsibility.”
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88971742.html?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Is this what public schools have become?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• What! That is so crazy!
    indigo645

Answer by indigo645 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• That is going too far.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Wow. I hope there's something we're missing here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I think that's going just a little too far. I understand that kids that age can actually consent, but I don't think a clinic in a public school should be wasting a student's school time, sending them off to have an abortion. I suppose they would be able to counsel a student regarding abortion (though I hate that idea too), but it goes too far to allow that to happen during school hours and that the school just turns a blind eye saying "we don't run the clinic".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• You forgot this part in the article***

At any age in the state of Washington, an individual can consent to a termination of pregnancy," he said.

The clinic is not run by the school but from an outside company. The girl wanted the abortion, in Washington any age can give consent and kudos to them for helping the girl out! Your whole title to this question is wrong and misleading!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 11:13 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• YOu cannot tell kids that they are too young to take advil on their own but are old enough to CHOOSE to get a medical procedure done. You cannot say on one hand that KIDS are not emotionally capable or mature enough to get MARRIED but CAN handle the emotional ramifications of an abortion. Eben those who had them done and dont regret them will tell you that it wasnt an EASY thing to do!! THIS is NUTS and I would YANK my child OUT of that system and home school! The CRAPPY thing is if the parents HADNT signed that piece of paper and their child had had a seizure or something she wouldnt have been able to get medical help!! Catch 22 for the parents and I would be PISSED!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:14 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Ummm KJ...I saw this story. The SCHOOL told her she should get an abortion AND not tell her parents. AND they paid her cab fair AND they altered her attendance records...The SCHOOL was in this up to their EYEBALLS!!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• The girl wanted the abortion, in Washington any age can give consent and kudos to them for helping the girl out!
    -----
    The school should not allow its students to be taken off campus, during school hours, without the parental consent. I have to sign permission slips for my 15 yr old daughter's field trips still, why should a school allow my child to be taken off campus for an abortion, but yet I have to sign permission and liability slips for field trips? I don't get that line of thinking. They can counsel the students (I still hate that idea, but still...), but to allow the clinic to take them off campus during school hours goes too far, I don't care what anyone says, the school should not condone that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• "Jill says her daughter, a pro-life advocate..."

Guess her daughter wasn't as 'pro-life' as she thought...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 26, 2010