How do you stop your toddler from feeding the dog?

We tell our 2-yr-old not to feed the dog. She pulls off a little piece of her waffle, drops it, giggles, and yells at the dog for eating it. I'm flabberghasted.

Happypancake

Asked by Happypancake at 10:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2010 in Pets

• hahaha, my 1 year old does the exact same thing. She will sit in her high chair and discreetly drop her food to the side for the dog. The dog loves it and is getting soooo fat! I tell her 'no' but she still does it. She also will hold out food to the dog and then pull it back. IT's like she's taunting the dog. I hope it's a phase.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:52 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• maybe you could put the dog in another room. just until shes done eating, and when shes older let her know that feeding the dog will make the dog sick. and never feed the dog infront of her.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We had this problem when my first started feeding herself. She dropped most all of her food bc she thought it was funny to see them fight over the food. We taught the dogs "go sit". When we say "go sit" they now go out of the kitchen and can't come in until we say "ok". Once the dogs were not under her chair my dd stopped throwing food on the floor.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 11:04 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• Maybe try having her help you feed the dog at his/her meal time. My aussie's favortie thing to do was lay down between the legs of the high chair and just wait for things to drop. It never bothered me.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• omg we must have the same child!!!! lol if you figure it out let me know. My dogs wait for her to eat now! She stares at me while she does it like i cant see her and tosses it to them and when they eat it she goes "NO weeby no, thats my food! bery bad bery bad!" i cant help but chuckle because she gets so angry but she needs to listen lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:26 AM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I agree with putting the dog in another room while your daughter (or anyone in the household for that matter) is eating. I also agree with letting your daughter feed the dog it's food at his/her meal time.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• We put our Dalmatian in her kennel or outside whenever any one is eating.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 8:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2010

• I'm going insane with that right now. It's so hard to discipline my 19 month old because she thinks she's sharing and it's a good thing. Not sure how to tell her sharing is good, but feeding the dog is not.
    hiddenstrength

Answer by hiddenstrength at 5:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2010